Saturday December 6th 2014

Venue :The Rec

Wrington entertained local rivals Broad Plain House at The Rec on Saturday. The players and staff pleased to be back at our home pitch after weeks of cancellations.

The pitch was still ‘sticky’ as lead grounds technician Trev Cleeve put it.

The game kicked off and as last week Wrington made the stronger start and chances soon began to fall to the home team. Both the strike partnership of Neil Andow and Jason Eaton had chances to score but the Broad Plain keeper made some decent saves and some inaccurate finishing kept the scores level.

Broad plain threatened little in attack but as last week, very much against the run of play,the away team managed to get to the edge of the Wrington box and on shooting the ball took a massive deflection and looped over the helpless Cheeseman into the Wrington net. 0-1

The game restarted and almost immediately the home team picked up where they had left off and attacked. The ball was swung in from the right and was headed towards goal by Jason Eaton with the keeper making a fine save low down to his left. However, the ever alert Jake Murry was on hand to force the ball over the line from close range. Controversy then followed as the Broad Plain assistant referee put his flag up for offside. The referee consulted with him but overruled him and the goal correctly stood. 1-1

Wrington continued to press and then a bizarre refereeing decision saw Jake Murry booked following a shocking tackle from behind by a Broad Plain player who then walked away without any action being taken against him. Murry appeared to do little to deserve the booking.

The home team continued to press and on 36 minutes Rory Thomas slid in Neil Andow who lifted the ball high into the net to the keepers right. 2-1.

Further chances came the way of the Home team but the score remained the same until half time

H/T 2-1

The game kicked off and on 49 minutes a mistimed tackle from Murry saw him receive his second yellow card and he was off.

The management team of Smith and Probert rearranged the team and settled in for what was undoubtedly going to be a tense remainder of the game.

Broad Plain pressed hard for the equaliser but the home defence of White,Clements,Smith and Man of the Match, Sam Johnson held firm with Keeper Cheeseman having to make only the odd save.

With the excellent Jason Eaton working tirelessly up front on his own closing down and closing angles the away team were often forced to go long where they were met by the Wrington back four.

In fact as the half wore on it was the home team with 10 men who still created chances the best two falling to the returning Mike Rowcliffe, one being cleared off the line after Mike went around the keeper and one in front of goal which was pushed just wide.

The game ended 2-1

A game that was in effect dominated by the home team and with a little better finishing from all around the pitch could have saved those watching a lot of stress!

It was interesting to speak after the game with last years Division 1 Champions manager who had lost several players to higher levels about the difficulties of replacing good players. It should be noted that we have suffered the same in this regard the difference being that we have been able to replace players with other good players and the work of Manager Smith and Probert in this regard should be applauded.

Up The Redskins!!!!!