Wrington were forced to play at Churchill FC in this second round cup tie against Nailsea Town due to a waterlogged pitch at The Rec.

The game kicked off and Wrington took control immediately marauding forward at every opportunity with Nailsea just managing to keep the home team at bay. Jake Murry and Rory Thomas were creating havoc but the ball would just not go in. The home team managed to hit the woodwork 5 times before on 44 minutes a Neil Andow shot struck the bar (yet again) but this time the ever alert Jason Eaton followed up forcing the ball over the line giving Wrington a well deserved first half lead.

HT 1-0

There appeared little problem for the home side and it was expected that the home team would go on to score an easy cup victory. But as the second half wore on Nailsea got a toehold in the game and from nothing got themselves back into the match with the returning Matt Pilgrim tapping in from close range following good work from the Nailsea right midfield player. Things then got worse for Wrington as Nailsea scored again through the evergreen Ryan King scoring from close range.

The clock ticked down and an unlikely defeat for Wrington loomed large. Chris Gale then popped up with literally the last kick of the game to hit his right foot shot from 8 yards past the helpless Nailsea keeper. The game restarted and seconds later the referee blew for full time.

The game moved into extra time with both sides having half chances to score but with the light failing the game ended 2-2

Penalties ensued and the excellent Graham Cheeseman who was forced to take the gloves following the departure keeper Ben Dancey to Street (All the best Ben) in midweek took his place between the sticks. Unfortunately the reliable Ryan King skied his penalty over the bar and with the second Nailsea penalty taker also missing and Wrington converting their first two penalties a Wrington win looked on the cards.

This duly followed with man of the match Simon Rigg scoring the winning penalty. (4-2)

In truth a game Wrington should have won in the first 25 minutes with all their pressure. Credit should be given to Nailsea Town who kept going when it would have been easy to cave in under the pressure exerted by the home team.

Once again our thanks go to Churchill FC for their hospitality and for allowing us to use their excellent facilities.

A big thank you from the Management team to our travelling support who came out in force to support the lads after weeks of inactivity.

Also the lads would like me to pass on their thanks to all of you that made the effort to support them. They really do appreciate your support.

Hopefully see you all at ‘The Rec’ next week where we are back in league action against Broad Plain House FC……..See you there