Nailsea Town v Wrington Redhill

Saturday 9th May 2015

The final game of the season took place at the home of Nailsea Town and ended the long wait for a Redskins victory.

Wrington were into their stride almost immediately and took charge of the early exchanges. Playing with the breeze at their backs Wrington moved the ball well and pinned Town into their own half. On 19 minutes Wrington took the lead. Chris Gale chased a long ball into the left corner of the pitch, Gale then manged to ‘square up’ the Town defender going past him and from the left hand edge of the box hit an unstopable shot that curled into the far right hand corner of the net for a great opening goal. 0-1

Wrington continued to control the game but then on 28 minutes Town equalised. The hard-working Mike Faiers being bought down in the box. It looked a soft penalty but was well put away to bring the scores level. 1-1

Moments later Wrington attacked and Cheesman was bought down in the box. The referee immediately pointed to the spot,again the penalty looked soft but Cheeseo stepped up sending the keeper the wrong way to restore the Redskins lead. 1-2.

The game was a much more even now and the home team had a goal ruled out from a corner for a push. Half time came with the game being an even affair.

H/T 1-2

From the start of the second half Town were in the ascendancy and only good defending from the back line of Johnson,Clements,Wallington (Pictured) and Chainey and the brilliant Clarke in the Wrington goal maintained the narrow lead.

Then on 71 minutes Town got a deserved equaliser when Wrington failed to clear a corner and the Town striker scored from close range.


From then on it was a tight affair with both sides creating half chances but on 83 minutes Wrington got the winner. The ball was played up to Craig Burchill who was on the right hand side of the pitch, with Manager Smith murmering, ‘give me something special kid’ the mercurial Burchill dropped a shoulder glided past two defender and placed a curling shot into the far left hand corner of the net. 2-3

The remaining time was played out and Wrington recorded their first win in 9 games to finish off the season on a high.

F/T 2-3

An excellent win against a much improved Town side who we are glad to say stayed up this year when at Christamas all looked lost.

After the game the player were joined by the away fans for a beer and a chat.

Manager Smith said, ‘It’s been a tough season and I am proud of all my players who have given me everything. This is first time the club has been in the Premier division and a respectable 9th place is something we are definitely looking to improve on next year. A massive thanks to the club’s Chairman (Finch) and board members who have always supported me and the players and to our small but loyal band of supporters who have travelled hundreds of miles to watch the team play, your support has always been appreciated by myself and the team. Up the Redskins and see you all next season’

MOTM : Selected by the fans: Mike Wallington. For a hard-working defensive display