Reserves  Suffer New Year Hangover

Yatton & Cleeve A 4 Wrington Redhill reserves 1

Following a morale boosting win at Worle Rangers, Wrington Redhill reserves  topsy turvy season continued with a disappointing loss in the ‘Wrington Hill’ derby. Whilst looking in control in the first half and taking the lead, some poor defending allowed Yatton back into the game before ultimately tiring and giving up 4 goals even though playing with the slope in the second half.

With no County fixtures, both sides were bolstered by the requisite 3 senior players and this showed in the quality of the football as both sides started brightly in an entertaining game. Leigh White made his presence felt as an auxiliary Front Man whilst the midfield battle between Olly Clements and Dutch Holland for Wrington and Nick Snook and  Elliott Shipway for Yatton was fascinating. However, the opening salvos saw both sides testing each other out and the only threat on goal was an over hit back pass which slipped agonisingly past the Wrington post.

The first clear cut chances came from a number of crosses as Rory Thomas rampaged down the left wing and it took a fine block by Pete Craske to deny Ethan Williams a clear shot on goal. Yatton obviously identified Thomas as a threat and a ‘robust’ tackle on him by Snook led to the first booking of the game. At the other end of the field, Briggs similarly had to make several strong blocks to keep Owen Fox at bay and James Williams in the visitors goal had to be alert in sweeping up several breakouts. Youngster Fin Taplin was also having a fine defensive game but Wrington failed to get the returning Joe Moore, wide on the right into the game. After 35 minutes, Wrington finally broke the deadlock. Thomas was again fouled allowing Clements to deliver the perfect cross which was met by Whites slanting run and his glancing header found the corner of the net.

Wrington now looked in control and were having more and more joy down their left side with Adam Cox having his best game this season. Coach Dan Burnett was therefore livid when 5 minutes before half time, the wrington defence got caught under the ball allowing Steve Owen to race clear and provide the perfect cross for Matt Finnegan to head home the equaliser.

The second half began in chaotic fashion. Wrington went straight on the attack and Ollie Clements’s freekick slammed against the cross bar to be followed by an almighty goalmouth scramble. However, Yatton went straight back up the other end and as two Wrington defenders tackled each other, Owen Fox seemed certain to score only for his shot to come back off the post.

Cressy then broke clear on the Wrington Right and his cross set up Holland who shot narrowly wide. Wrington continued to pressure but on 55 minutes the game changed as Steve Owen was fouled in the box and Fox scored the penalty to put Yatton ahead. Soon afterwards Thomas was again cleaned out by Snook and as the crowd bayed for a second booking play was allowed to continue with the advantage played. As the referee summoned Snook to him it seemed inevitable that he would be given his marching orders only to given a final warning and the benefit of the doubt.

It was therefore inevitable that a few minutes later it was Snook’s perfect corner that found Owen free to head home Yatton’s third and effectively settle the match. Wrington now chased the game and also tired. A piece of magic from Elliott Shipway set up Owen for his second and it took a fine save from James Williams to deny him his hattrick minutes later.

There was still no lack of effort but chances now came thick and fast requiring further saves from Williams and a block off the line from Thomas which kept the score respectable but Wringtons’ control of the first half was now a distant memory. Whether by poor defending or the quality of Yatton’s play will be debated before another tricky selection next week as Wrington are Home to Nailsea United and in need of a win.