Wrington Redhill reserves went top of division 3 and guaranteed promotion for the third consecutive season after a hard fought 3-2 victory over a strong cheddar side. The win was Wrington’s 5th on the bounce but was anything but plain sailing.

the home side were forced into 2 changes from the previous week with Moore promoted to the first team replaced by the returning Buck after he found a dog sitter and Cozza replacing the absent Rouvrais up top.

The home side started the brighter and went in front on 4 minutes when Johnson found space in the box and his scuffed effort found the bottom corner to give Wrington the perfect start. This didn’t effect cheddar who showed maturity and began grow in the game and were keeping wringtons backline and midfield busy, especially the evergreen Holland who was tasked with marking the cheesemens sharp number 10. On 15 minutes cheddar rattled the bar from range that had keeper Vowles beaten all ends up and the keeper was called in to action again shortly after with a fine same from a header that was drifting into the corner. On the whole wrington had dealt with the threat from Cheddar both down the middle and on the flanks with wide men Selman and Faulkner working tirelessly. It was however a culmination of free kicks given away in dangerous areas that brought the away side deservedly level on 30 mins, the long ball flicking off Burnett only to fall to the 10 to nod the ball over Vowles with Curtis just unable to reach the ball before it has crossed the line. The home side then rallied and went back in front through Johnson with his second of the game and 10th of the season with a tidy finish from inside the box on 37 mins. The home side then saw out the have with Holland playing a vital role in nullifying the away sides bright number 10.

At the break, wrington were for into a change with Edmonds coming off for rouvrais having suffered a rib injury in the first half. The second half started with the away side much the brighter, consistently finding space around the pitch and getting to good positions but lacking in final ball to draw level and supported by some fine handling and last ditch defending. Wrington resorted to longer ball tactics to relive the pressure and defended resolutely from what seemed a constant barrage of attacks and the home side looked like they could hold out for a vital 3 points. However, on 78 minutes cheddar got the equaliser they deserved. After originally dealing with the corner, cheddar were able to recycle the ball and a deep cross to the back post was nodded home from 2 yards to level the game up.

At this point there could have only been one winner in Cheddar, but this seemed to rally the home side who for the first time in the half started to play, a long ball from Rouvrais nearly found the excellent Holland and Selman was getting space on the left to use his pace. With the game seemingly going to end in a draw, on 89 minutes Johnson won the ball in midfield, drove forward and found the now flying Selman, who outpaced his marker the lash home from a tight angle. It was an un”brie”vable finish from Selman who has been searching for a goal after his flying start to the season. The home side were able to hold on for the final few minutes to record a vital victory in the race for the title and pile the pressure on Westend who face a tricky run of fixtures in the coming weeks.

Man of the match seemed certain to go to Johnson for 2 goals and an assist but the White Wine award went to Chris Holland for a excellent defensive display to nullify the away sides biggest threat

Line up:

Vowels, Curtis, Williams, Holland, Edmonds (Rouvrais), Buck, Burnett, Selman, Faulkner, Cozza, Johnson

Subs :

Rouvrais, McMullen