This was the third defeat in a row for Wrington Redhill and perhaps the most disappointing of the three. Manager Graham Cheeseman with a view to stemming the goals conceded and take the game to the visitors changed the formation with a back three defence with wingbacks in support of a midfield three and two up front. Although top scorer Jake Horton was unavailable there was a welcome back to Sam Clark in his place.

It was the Stockwood team that started strongly and early on Ethan Johnson cleared an effort over the bar. At the other end a Chris Bradley cross eluded everyone but struck a stanchion with the Stockwood ‘keeper Luke Wilson watching in vain.

As the game progressed three Wrington Redhill players got on the score sheet but unfortunately two were own goals. It was the home side that took the lead ion 17 minutes with Leigh White providing the pass for Clark to fire in from just outside the box giving the ‘keeper no chance to save for 1-0. After that though it all went pear shape and following a couple of free kicks by Callum Vickery and Ollie Clements that were dealt with Stockwood equalised when Lee Millard raced through the middle of the defence and latched on to a ball from Dan Twomey and struck the ball confidently past Matt Hill.

More chances came for both sides. Stockwood’s Ben Garland shot from distance over the crossbar and Joe Moore for the home side did likewise. On the half hour mark a good passing movement between Ollie Clements, Whitey and Clark saw the effort pushed away for a corner. The resultant corner was gathered by the ‘keeper and on a swift counter attack a corner was won the other end. Twomey whipped the ball across and the unfortunate Whitey sliced the ball into his own net at the near post. It got worse when again from a breakaway following a Wrington free kick with Mitch Brooks slotting home a pass from Jake James for a 3-1 half time lead which could have been reduced had Vickery’s late shot not been cleared off the line.

The second half got under way with Hill saving a header from Twomey and Bradley unable to convert a chance in the box. Vickery had a corner cleared and was then denied a penalty when he had clearly been blatantly pushed but the referee thought otherwise.

Ethan Johnson who had been the most commanding at the back for the home side then had the misfortune to score the game’s second own goal heading into his own net following another Stockwood corner to increase their lead to 4-1.

Manager Cheeseman sent on all three substitutes, Will Perry, Sam Clements and Jack Board who all played their part in a late rally to try and salvage something out of the game which ended at 4-1 to Stockwood. The teams meet again on Tuesday for the reverse fixture and Wrington Redhill players will have to re-group and steel themselves for another gruelling game.

GK, Matthew Hill
Defence, Mike Rowcliffe, Mark Brown, Ethan Johnson
Midfield, Joe Moore, Leigh White, Chris Bradley, Mason Gardener, Ollie Clements
Forwards, Callum Vickery, Sam Clark
Subs: Will Perry (for Sam Clark), Sam Clements (for Callum Vickery), Jack Board (for Mark Brown)

Bill Gough Man of the Match – Ethan Johnson