Wrington Redhill found that lack of goals was their downfall yet again in this game against fellow league strugglers Clutton at a heavy Recreation Ground.

The first half was virtually all one way traffic and as early as the first five minutes Simon Lee saw one effort strike a post and another cleared off the line. The home side was playing some terrific football with manager Leigh White handing debuts to two teenagers for their first starts in senior football and what performances were produced by both players. Joe Creese was causing havoc down the right flank and Ben Griffith was stamping his authority at the heart of the midfield, both making major contributions to the game. Simon Lee was making a return to the team after a prolonged absence and held the ball well up front linking well with advancing players from midfield.

Chance after chance went begging with Mike Rowcliffe, Chris Bradley and the youngsters Creese and Griffith very active but the net eluding them all by last ditch clearances or strikes wide of goal. Despite all this dominance just minutes before the break Clutton were awarded a penalty for a Sam Clements handball infringement and Adam Holcombe fiercely drove the spot kick past Matt Hill for a bemusing 1-0 half time lead.

The second half had a similar pattern Wrington Redhill on the offensive and Clutton relying on breakaways when possible. White was encouraging Creese and Griffiths to express themselves and indeed the latter grew and grew in confidence involved in much of the play and continued to create chances. Ethan Johnson got forward on the left and a stunning strike just flew past the left top corner of the goal. Shortly after link play between Griffiths and Lee found Rowcliffe who forced the ball in the net for a well deserved equalisinggoal.

Probably the best move of the game came on 70 minutes with White picking up the ball gave a short pass to Bradley who then released Creese again on the right and his cross found Griffiths who’s strike was gathered by the visitor’s‘keeper Steve Rogers. George Martin and Jack Biggs came on for Lee and Callum Briggs and more chances were created but not finished off.

As so often happens in these sort of games two late breakaways saw Rich Krugg score two goals to take the points, the last just before the final whistle. Even the visiting contingent could not believe they came away with a victory but that’s no real consolation to Wrington Redhill who now face a real fight to climb the league table. As long as the commitment and belief remains plus the added impetus of new young blood in the team this is still possible in the second half of the season. They now have to turn chances into goals!

Bill Gough man of the match was awarded to Ben Griffith for a splendid all round midfield performance on his debut for the Club and Senior football


GK, Matthew Hill

Defence: Ollie Clements, Callum Briggs, Sam Clements, Ethan Johnson

Midfield: Chris Bradley, Leigh White, Ben Griffith, 

Forwards: Michael Rowcliffe, Simon Lee, Joe Creese

Subs: Jack Biggs (for Callum Briggs), George Martin for (Simon Lee)Jason Potter (not used)