Where do you start with a report on a game when 13 goals are conceded at home with no reply. At least the game was level as the referee blew his whistle at the start with no one anticipating the fireworks to come from the visiting team despite the hugely talented and league’s top scorer Scott Bamford in their line up.

As early as the first minute Bamford had the goal in his sights but the ball got stuck at his feet and was cleared before the chance was completed. Only minutes later he charged down Matthew Hill’s attempted clearance the ball struck the cross bar landing at Bamford’s feet for an easy tap in to take a 1-0 lead. A chance to level the score came when Mike Rowcliffe struck wide following an Ollie Clements’ free kick being parried by ‘keeper Mark Winkler who otherwise had a quiet afternoon in his goal.

For the rest of the half it was pretty much one way traffic with Wrington Redhill failing to keep possession of the ball and were punished with further goals from Mark Johnson breaking free of the defence and slotting the ball past Hill for 2-0. A corner from Richard Brightwell was headed over by Marcel Telfer-Ross but the referee awarded another corner again taken by Brightwell and this time George Brimson headed home to increase the visitor’s lead. It was soon 4-0 with the best goal of the game when several players combined with great passing precision ending with Dan Morne getting the goal.

The nearest Wrington Redhill came to getting a goal back came from a Leigh White free kick with Callum Briggs putting pressure on Winkler before he managed to fully grasp the ball from further danger. Just before half time Jay Spicer sent in a wind assisted corner which deceived every one and curled into the net to take a 5-0 interval lead.

At the restart Rowcliffe’s long range effort was parried by Winkler and Briggs’ follow up effort was cleared for a throw-in. It was that man Bamford who broke down the left flank skipping past defenders and coolly slotted past Hill to start the second half onslaught. Goals flowed with almost every attack. Bamford finished the game with 4 goals to his credit as did Johnson with the final score 13-0. Late on in the game Jake Betts had a half chance and Winkler saved a long shot from Ollie Clements.

This indeed proved to be a freak horror show to compete with Halloween and Shirehampton letting off all their fireworks ahead of bonfire night. The players need to get this result out of their systems ahead of a visit to Stockwood Green next week and get back basics in their all round play.

GK, Matthew Hill
Defence, Ollie Clements, Sam Clements, Jason Potter, Ethan Johnson,
Midfield, Mike Rowcliffe, Leigh White, Chris Bradley, George Martin
Forwards, Jake Betts, Callum Briggs
Subs: Andy Lilley (for Callum Briggs), Adam Caulfield (for George Martin)