Prior to the game starting both teams and spectators held a minutes silence in memory of Wrington Redhill’s a long-standing Club stalwart Bill Gough who sadly passed away in the week. 

After last week’s encouraging performance enforced changes had to be made to the line-up by player/manager Leigh White due to absence of players due to holidays, illness and suspension. This is not a good position to be in when facing a fight against relegation however all credit goes to replacements James Williams for his first start of the season in goal and Simon Lee pairing with George Martin up front and Andy Lilley and Jon Flynn on the bench.

The visitors started brightly although it was Stockwood who threatened first when Harrison Donachie shot wide and soon after James Williams saved a Ricky Brumpton effort. An Ollie Clements free kick following a foul on Adam Caulfield was cleared and another chance came when White fed Rory Thomas along the left flank but his cross was cleared by the defence. Adam Caulfield headed wide connecting with another Thomas cross. The industrious Ben Griffiths was trying hard to spark more attacks from his midfield position and Chris Bradley was busy to but Stockwood kept Williams on his toes including an awkward save at the foot of a post to concede a corner. Despite this action the half ended at 0-0.

Wrington Redhill were awarded a number of free kicks as lively Griffiths was constantly being brought down. From one free kick Thomas was dismayed as no player was able to capitalise on a good delivery into the goal area. The home side had an appeal for a penalty rightly rejected as Williams dived at the feet of Conrad Britton racing into the area but nonetheless clasped the ball cleanly to avert the danger. Griffiths and Simon Lee had efforts saved by Matt Lewis and Caulfield also shot just wide after Clements had made a goal line clearance just before. 

On the hour mark Jack Biggs replaced George Martin and soon after an injury forced Caulfield to be replaced by Jon Flynn. A blow came on 70 minutes when Donachie rose to head Tom Francis’ cross at goal and Williams’ finger tips could not prevent the ball crossing the line for the home side to take a 1-0 lead. Stockwood were now beginning to take control of the game and White Callum Briggs and Jason Potter had their work cut out to stay in the game however Andy Lilley came on for Briggs soon after who had picked up an injury.

A Stockwood breakaway saw Jack Moore send his shot wide but moments later Conrad Britton evaded two challenges and then chipped the advancing Williams to take a 2-0 lead. Williams then made a point blank save from Donachie. Shortly before the end a Wrington Redhill counter attack involving White and Griffiths feed the ball to Lee who saw his goal bound effort saved right on the line by the backtracking home keeper.

Next week’s game at home to bottom of the league side Odd Down is an absolutely crucial game and nothing less than 3 points will be required to help thwart the relegation fight. The Club would like to see as many supporters as possible to attend to give their backing to the team at this difficult time.

Bill Gough man of the match was awarded to Callum Briggs

GK, James Williams

Defence: Ollie Clements, Callum Briggs, Leigh White, Jason Potter, Rory Thomas

Midfield: Chris Bradley, Ben Griffiths, Adam Caulfield

Forwards: Simon Lee, George Martin

Subs: Jack Biggs (for George Martin, Jon Flynn (for Adam Caulfield), Andy Lilley (for Callum Briggs)