Portishead A Vs Wrington Reserves – Final Score 3 – 1  ( 1 – 1 half Time)


Like all newly promoted teams, Wrington Reserves found out that you cannot miss three or four clear cut scoring opportunities against the best teams and expect to come away with any points.

The new League season started with the hardest possible fixture, away to last year’s winners Portishead A. Things got even more challenging as they went behind within 5 minutes of the whistle when caught cold by a clinical early strike. A well struck shot into the top corner of the net giving James Williams no chance in the Wrington goal. To their great credit, Wrington kept trying to play football as set out by Coach Phil Williams, not only competing in all areas but carved out three or four clear cut chances to get back on terms. With Chris Holland marshalling the back three and Mike Rowcliffe controlling a combative midfield, openings came as Joe Moore and then Louis Rouvais were put through on goal only for good saves to deny both. Wrington then had a golden spell  when Rouvais once again forced a brave save and the follow up by Clements was blocked on the line. Finally Wrington got the goal they richly deserved when a pin point deep cross from Rory Thomas saw Joe Moore ghosting in at the far post  to plant a header into the bottom corner. Inevitably the home side responded and the half ended with Wrington under pressure as they sat back a little although there we no clear cut chances.

Matt Lenny replaced Mike Clements at half time to provide fresh legs and it was Wrington that were first out of the traps. Forcing an early corner both Holland and Rouvais (Pictured) attacked the ball and Rouvais’ strong header was again brilliantly saved by the Portishead keeper. With Thomas and Moore controlling the wide areas, Paul Burnett tackling everything in midfield and Paul Faulkner tireless upfront, Wrington looked comfortable and a creditable away point looked possible. However, as they tired the pressure began to build. If anything, the desire to play football proved their undoing as a wayward pass from the back prompted a counter attack that saw the on rushing striker lifting the ball agonisingly over the fingertips of Williams following a deflection.

Matthew Collins was introduced as the second sub but the tide had turned. Callum Briggs bravely continued although hampered by injury and even now very few clear cut chances were created. However, a smart turn from a low corner resulted in Portisheads’ third goal.

With the Home Keeper awarded MOM, Wrington felt that the final score did not flatter them and that they have nothing to fear in the new league. As long as valiant losses do not become a regular theme and they take their chances, the writer is minded to agree.