Reserves Finally Take Chances to Secure Big Away Win

Wedmore 0 V Wrington Reserves 5
With Summer fading, you often hear cricketers bemoan the fact that ‘Catches win matches’. With football, it is goals that change games. Last week’s disappointing result was largely down to missed chances whereas in a purple five minute patch following half time, Wrington Reserves scored three goals that effectively sealed an away win which gets their season up and running. It was the away side that started brightly with Mickey Edmunds pinging diagonal balls to Joe Moore and Kyle Selman on the flanks which allowed them to feed Tommy Johnson. Johnson is a player who feeds on confidence and right from the start he looked on form and caused panic in the home defence. Having forced a corner with one such run, he then headed in Joe Moore’s perfect delivery ahead of the on rushing Briggs who looked certain to score himself. Wrington dominated the first half with good passing football, correcting last week’s sloppy habit of giving the ball away cheaply. Phil Williams was given an armchair ride as he marshalled the defence of Briggs and Curtis shielded by the energetic Adam Caufield and Matt Lenny. This gave a platform which allowed the wide players to roam forward supplied by Mickey Edmunds and Paul Faulkner who held the ball up brilliantly. The only frustration was that all the pressure and chances did not lead to any more goals. Caulfield drew a superb save from Dave Lefhay in the Wedmore goal after going the length of the pitch interchanging passes with Johnson. Curtis managed to put the ball over the bar when he looked certain to score and Selman’s shot narrowly missed the target. Joe Moore drew a double fine for going for goal direct from a corner and celebrating when it went into the side netting. Whilst it remained one, nil, there were still some nervy moments particularly from crosses supplied by Wedmore’s Nick Beason on the left. George Bennett ghosted onto one cross and headed narrowly wide. For all their dominance, a goal for the home team then could have changed the game for the visitors.
Any such nerves were dispelled immediately after halftime with Mickey Edmunds scoring two quickfire goals. One supplied by a Curtis through ball and the other presented to him by a poor goal kick. Selman beat several defenders before teeing up Johnson for his second and at 4 nil up Wrington could afford to make several changes. This gave time for Dan to coolly slot home Faulkner’s inviting cross and stoke the argument as to whether the run made the pass or the pass made the run! Mickey Edmunds was awarded Man of the Match just ahead of Caulfield and Johnson.
Wrington Reserves now meet the far sterner test of Nailsea next week with plenty of options to pick from and a welcome clean sheet. However, replicating this performance under pressure will begin to show how good this side can be.