Wrington Reserves 3 Vs Kenn Valley FC 4

Weston and District Div 1 – half time 1 – 2

Having come up through the leagues together, these two teams know each other well and always produce tight, hard fought games. This year’s Division 1 is already proving a very competitive league and both teams need to respond to an early losing record. However, it was a game full of quality and twists and turns. The home team had the worst possible start. Keen to impose themselves, a rash challenge on the edge of the box led to a free kick. A high hopeful cross ended up in the top corner giving James Williams in goal no chance.

This knocked Wrington back on their heels and it took some time for them to recover and settle into the game. When they did so they started to play some good football but as often of late were too impatient and rushed the final ball. However, good pressing from the midfield allowed Matt Lenny to latch on to a mistake and release Tommy Johnson who raced through to slot his seventh goal of the season. With the relief of getting back on terms, Wrington appeared to have gained control but got caught trying to play from the back and immediately surrendered the hard fought initiative. The resulting bouncing ball bobbled around the area and into the net after several chances to clear.

Conceding just before half time never helps the mood in the dressing room but coach Phil Williams rallied the troops and the home side started the second half with real purpose. Debutant Alex Blake and Joe Moore started to find room on the flanks and Dan McMullen came more into the game. He combined well with Joe Moore to put Kyle Selman in space and a typical left foot strike saw Wrington level. Now on the front foot, the home side pushed forward and chances started to come. It was no surprise when Selman scored a second when Tommy Johnson’s cross alluded Joe Moore but fell to Selman who scored again with a left foot strike via a McMullen deflection. Hence the dubious goals panel which eventually ruled in his favour.

With fifteen minutes to go there was a sense that the game was won and with a little game management the home side would get the win. However, to their great credit, Kenn Valley responded by upping their game and as Wrington seemed to tire, they then lost their shape, and spaces appeared all over the pitch. Jonny Marsh and James Marshall came on to try and stem the tide but a break down the right won a throw in and Wrington were slow to organise which allowed space for a fine left foot finish into the top corner. Having been in a position to win the game, the home side were now in the tricky position of trying to force a result or settle for the draw. Either way, the momentum was with the visitors and they seemed to be getting all the refereeing decisions in their favour. Another soft free kick saw an under hit floated ball skip off a defensive header and fall to any one of three attackers at the far post to tap in for the winner. There was just time for a similar free kick to give Wrington the chance of redemption but the sense of frustration saw it blaised over the bar.

Despite the depressing result there were numerous positives and Alex Blake, Nic Curtis and Callum Briggs all challenged for man of the match before it was awarded to Callum (Pictured). Typical of Wrington, a defender wins MOM after conceding 4 goals!

The next two weeks now become crucial with the local ‘Hill’ derby, home and away against Cleeve who sit bottom of the table. As the Captain of the cricket teams says……It’s called Wrington Hill for a reason!!