Selkirk Utd Vs Wrington A’s 4 –

The A’s travelled to Nailsea with the bare eleven and although welcoming several players back after stirling work for the reserves, travelled in hope rather than expectation. Losing Ali Caufield on the morning of the match was a blow as they were robbed of experience at the back. The reshuffled side didn’t have time to settle before they were behind. Playing three up front has worked well this season but right from the start the visitors were out numbered in midfield and Selkirk ran straight through the middle to fire a long range shot which beat the diving Sharman in goal. Playing with the wind in the first half, Wrington worked hard to get back on terms but were too often chasing the game. Jonny Marsh flanked by youngsters Sammy Fowkes and Tom Clark settled well and seemed to have steadied the ship. As always Tom Lucas and Jack Hetherington put in a shift on the flanks and Paul Faulkner came more into the game. But with nothing ‘sticking’ up front, Selkirk still had the edge and disaster strunk in the lead up to half time. A free kick out wide was floated into the visitors box and eluded everyone for a simple header at the far post. With only a minute to half time, Wrington restarted but dwelt on the ball too long and were three down with the last kick of the half.

Well behind and against the wind, all the odds were stacked against them, but as with all Wrington sides, spirit is rarely a problem and everyone battled on at least to salvage some pride. The forward line of Marshall, McMullen and Cole (Pictured) , fought and chased for everything as even against the Wind…Sharman’s howitzer of a right foot sailed for miles…..usually into the air. Tom Clark’s long throw was also giving James Marshall more opportunity to compete in the air and make a nuisance of himself. One such throw found its way to Sean Cole who spun instantly into the box and a quick fire left foot shot gave some respectability to the score line. A few minutes later and a pin point threaded ball from Clements saw Cole sprint through for his second goal and suddenly Wrington were right back into the game. Another throw in saw Marshall causing panic in the home defence and quick reactions from Cole saw him steal in for his hat trick. The home team were now rattled and against all odds a draw seemed a fair result only for a cruel bounce to hit a Wrington arm and a penalty was awarded. A well strunk penalty settled the result which was heartbreaking considering the heroic second half comeback against the League leaders.

The back three, Paul Faulkner and James Marshall could all have won Man of the Match but you can’t look past the hat trick hero Sean Cole.

Team: Mike Sharman, Tom Clark,Jonny Marsh, Sammy Fowkes, Tom Lucas, Paul Faulkner, Mike Clements, Jack Hetherington, Dan McMullen,James Marshall, Sean Cole.