Wringtoan Redhill Reserves 4 Banwell Reserves 3

This final game of the season for Wrington Redhill Reserves against Banwell Reserves was no run of the mill end of season fixture. The home side had to win for any chance to avoid relegation and rely on Congresbury losing whilst a draw for Banwell would secure safety.

Without an appointed referee in stepped Dan McMullen to officiate this important fixture and he gave a good display of control acknowledged by both teams, each of which he played for over the years.

Both teams produced end to end play and had early chances to score but it was Wrington Redhill who finally got their noses in front. A corner from Rory Thomas was cleared back to him and he then sent a deep back post cross met by the head of Leigh White sending the ball over the line from the inside of the far post. However, Banwell struck back quicklyafter winning the ball on the halfway line and in the blink of an eye the ball was being fished out of his net by keeper Richard Major and a half time level score at 1-1.

It was Wrington Redhill that started on the front foot after the break and scored within five minutes to re-take the lead. Nico Anderson swivelled on the edge of the box and fired into the bottom corner to the delight of the supporters and the first team squad who were in fine vocal form in encouraging their team. Once again, the hosts were unable to cling onto their lead and an excellent shot from the edge of the box allowed Banwell back into the game at 2-2.

A draw was no good, so the home side went on the offensive and were given a lifeline when Banwell took a short goal kick but presented the ball to Anderson who showed no mercy and passed the ball back past the keeper to take a 3-2 lead and roars from the side line. With their tails up Wrington Redhill kept on attacking and increased their lead further. The ‘golden oldies’ were involved! Mark Brown launched a corner into the penalty area and White rose again with a header which the Banwell keeper saved well but parried the ball to Chris (Dutch) Holland who made no mistake in finding the net providing a two-goal advantage.

More chances were created but spurned before Banwell snatched another creating a nervous few minutes but the final whistle was met with a loud cheer as safety against relegation was achieved as Congresbury also lost and it was fitting that Dutch’s goal clinched survival by a 1 goal difference advantage and reward for the difficult season which would have collapsed but for his efforts to keep the Reserve side going in very difficult circumstances. Commiserations to Banwell for a well contested game of football.



Goalkeeper: Richard Major.

Defence: Jonathan Flynn, Nick Curtis, Leigh White, Max Bream

Midfield: Mark Brown, Kristian Giles, Isaac Hale, Chris Holland,Rory Thomas.

Strikers: Nico Anderson.

Subs. Paul Burnett (for Jonathan Flynn) Callum Briggs (for Issac Hale)