Saturday 23rd January 2016

Odd Down v Wrington Redhill.

Wrington made the long trip to Odd Down in a Red Transit ‘battle bus’ and came away with a hard-fought victory.

Wrigton made a few enforced changes to last weeks team with Mike Rowcliffe and Simon Riggs coming back into the starting line up.

Wrington started the game well with some decent passing movement down the flanks involving Chris Gale and Simon Riggs and on 10 minutes the first chance of the game fell to Riggs from the edge of the box with the home keeper saving well.

Moments later excellent play by Harry Iles fed the ball into Graham Cheeseman feet. Strong hold up play by ‘Cheeseo’ saw him lay the ball off to Luke Paton who shot from 10 yards out was well saved by the keeper.

Wrington were well on top at this stage playing some nice football and winning a number of corners. On 14 minutes Wrington got the breakthrough. From a corner Chris Gale hit the ball to the back post where Cheeseman rose highest and headed the ball back into the centre of the goal. The ball then ran free to Leigh White who smashed it in shooting across the keeper and finding the top corner. There is some debate about a massive deflection but ‘Whitey’ is not having any of that staunchly defending his position in the bar after the game that it was a ‘pure strike of real quality’.


Wrington continued to press and from another corner Cheeseman headed on for Mike Rowcliffe to hit a low shot that the keeper got down well to save. As the half drew to a close Odd Down began to get more parity of possession and Wrington worked hard to see the half out.

H/T 0-1

The second half was a much more even affair with both teams looking dangerous going forward. Chris Bradly made a spectacular attempt at an overhead kick only to see his shot go just wide of the post following good work by Paton down the right.

Paton’s good movement always gave the Wringtons defence an ‘out ball’ and as the game wore on further chances were to come the way of young Paton.

On around 70 minutes a flurry of substitutions saw Cheeseman, Bradly and Gale replaced by Rory Thomas, Josh Bennett and making his debut Godwin Ayaabah.

Bennett made an instant impression and on 76 minutes drove a fine crossfield pass to Paton who from just inside the box pulled his shot wide. A minute later excellent play down the left saw Paton receive the ball just inside the box where he neatly stepped back inside the defender and sent a firm shot crashing against the bar.

Odd Down never gave up and as we entered the last 15 minutes of the game they began to press hard for the equalisier.  On 80 minutes it looked for all the world that they would get it. The lively Odd Down centre forward wriggled past two defenders and from six yards out Gary Clark dived to his left only for the forward to strike the ball to his right, then somehow Clarke stuck out his right leg and just managed to get enough on the ball to send it past the post.

The last 10 minutes were defended well by the Wrington backline and although a few unnecessary free kicks were given away at the edge of the box Wrington saw the game home for an excellent away win.

MOTM Chris Gale (Pictured). Magnificent game.Nuff said

Manager Smith said,’ That was more like it. I thought we excellent for most of the game and created them a number of problems. We were much more energetic this week and put last weeks poor performance well and truly to bed’

Wringtons attention now shifts to Tuesday nights fixture with top of the table Nailsea & Tickenham at the Everyone Active Stadium (formally The Hand). Kick off 7.30 pm. See you all there.