Wrington Redhill v Frome Collegians

Saturday 5th December 2015

Wrington made it into the last eight of the Somerset Cup winning by the odd goal in five.

On a glue-pot of a pitch it looked like it was going to be a difficult to play any decent football but to the credit of both sides the watching spectators were treated to a decent game of football.

Wrington kicked off playing down the slope against a strong wind and started the brightest. Neat football saw Josh Bennett put Graham Cheeseman through only to see Cheeseo pull his shot wide of the post.

On 6 minutes Bennett himself had a shot that went wide of the post. Wrington continued to play neat football and a great pass by Ben Ricketts found Cheeseman who slipped a ball to Leigh White who quickly gave it back to Cheeseman who in turn put a short pass back to White who just failed to control the return pass when through in the box.

Frome played their usual neat build up play and on 29 minutes Wrington custodian Dave Cook made a fine save from the Frome centre forward.

On 36 minutes a deep cross by the Frome winger was missed by Cook only to see Cheeseman, running back towards his own goal, head the goal-bound cross out from under the bar for an amazing clearance.

H/T 0-0

Frome started the brighter and on 47 minutes Cook made another class save with a fingertip save pushing the ball around the post.

Both teams pushed hard to make the breakthrough and it was Wrington who eventually made it.

On the hour a throw from Bennett found Leigh White who slipped the ball into Luke Patten who held the ball up well allowing Cheeseman to find space in the box. Patten laid a short ball back for Cheeseamn who finished well from 12 yards. 1-0

Minutes later the lead was doubled when a Ben Ricketts corner was cleared to the edge of the box  where Chris Bradley spanked it across the keeper into the top far corner for a great goal. 2-0.

If Wrington thought this was to be the end of the game Frome had other ideas. Within 6 minutes (68th,70th) Frome were level. In what were almost identical goals Wrington failed to clear a corner with the ball falling in the box to a Frome player.One header and one close in shot bought the teams level 2-2.

Sandwiched in between the two Frome goals was a great save by Cook. With Wrington wobbling the Frome striker was put clean through but the big man stood up and got his size 12 boot to the shot which took it clear of the far post.

The game was now in the balance but it Wrington who got the winner. On 77 minutes Simon Riggs fed Luke Patten who crossed for Cheeseman to strike a shot that initially hit a defender but Cheeseman pounced on the rebound and hit his low shot into the far corner for what turned out to be the winner.

Frome were unable to create another good chance and Patten had a good effort just clear the bar near the end of the game.

Wrington saw the game out and now progress into the 4th round.

F/T 3-2

MOTM: Leigh White. All action performance in defence and in attack.

Manager Smith said, ‘ I have had a difficult week with players not being available and approached the game with some trepidation. However, I need not have worried as the team were excellent and played some lovely football on a heavy pitch. I would like to thank Kyle Selman and Dan Burnett who made themselves available at short notice to help out. We now move onto to Nailsea United for another cup game and hope we can reproduce some of the football we played today.’