Wrington Redhill v Yatton

Saturday 4th April  2015

Wrington entertained local rivals Yatton on this sunny Bank Holiday weekend in front of a large crowd. Wrington took early control of the game as they played down the slope with a blustery wind at their backs.  The home team played some neat football and on 13 minutes a slick passing move saw Neil Andow receive the ball in the box in space,his snap shot was well saved by the away keeper. The away team however were always dangerous with the front two causing problems in the air for the home defence.

On 29 minutes Wrington were pushed back into their box and following a cross the ball broke to the Yatton striker 8 yards from goal. A fierce shot looked destined for the corner of the net until somehow Clarke diving full length got a strong hand to the ball and pushed it wide.

The game reached half time with no goals

H/T 0-0

The second half kicked off and Wrington began to dominate the game. A good move between Neil Andow and  Louie Keene created space for Cheeseman, but the usually prolific forward skewed his shot well wide of the goal.

This was only to be momentary ‘let off’ for the away team as following a corner on 58 minutes Cheeseman rose to power his header past the Yatton keeper. 1-0

From here on in Wrington were in full charge of the game. A number of chances fell to Neil Andow, (shot) Ben Ricketts (Header) and Mike Rowcliffe (Header) but all were unable to convert their chances. A goalmouth scramble also came and went without the home team being able to force the ball home.Then as always happen if you don’t score when your on top the opposition usually make you pay as they did in this case.

On 68 minutes a long ball from the back broke to the Yatton forward who shot from 10 yards out, Clarke again made an excellent stop but the ball fell to the other Yatton striker who made no mistake from close range. 1-1

The game continued to ebb and flow with chances for both sides. Then at the death what looked a clear foul on Neil Andow in the box was waved away by the match official and the game ended all square.

An ‘end to end’ game with numerous chances created by both sides but on reflection it was the home side that dominated the ball and should really have taken all three points from their superior chances.

MOTM Neil Andow, Always a threat from the right hand side