Nick Tucks away winner in crucial game afor the Reserves

Nick Tucker scored his first goal for Wrington to give them a hard fought win against visitors’  Selkirk.  Selkirk sit third in the League and were smarting from last week’s defeat to lowly Banwell Reserves, a typically strange result following the Covid lockdown and much changed team line ups with no County fixtures being played.

The first action saw Selkirk on the front foot and a long ball saw Home James Williams, rushing from his goal and totally misjudging the bounce of the ball but he was rescued by the covering Fin Taplin. This was William’s only mistake of the game but one of a number of crucial clearances by Taplin.  Louis Rouvais was immediately in the action releasing the energetic Joe Moore who ran clear and brought out a fine diving save from Josh Collins in the Selkirk goal. From the resulting corner, Moore’s cross was headed on by Tommy Johnson for Nick Tucker to head in to give the home side an early lead. It was Rouvais again who released Tommy Johnson this time bringing another brave save from keeper Collins amid a collision of bodies. Not to be out done, Selkirks’ forwards Ben Forse and Harvey Davies were always a danger using their speed to constantly threaten. A long ball saw the two of them race clear only for Williams to pull off an extraordinary double save at full stretch as they seemed certain to score. Soon afterwards Williams was again called upon to make another good save but the ball dribbled towards the line and he only got back just in time to clear off the line. The teams were now evenly matched with some strong challenges going in from Dean Rix and Nick Tucker in the Wrington Defence and Paul Burnett in the midfield and chances started to dry up. A tempting free kick from Joe Moore evaded everyone as it ran across the 6 yard box and Tucker almost duplicated his goal from another corner but it was deflected wide. As half time approached Wringtonpressed for the comfort of a second goal and Chris Holland drove them forward, breaking through several challenges before striking the ball ‘too well’ which saw the ball over the crossbar when seemingly destined to score.


With the game following a similar pattern to last week, one – nil was a slender lead at half time but Wrington were determined not to make the same mistakes. Simon Lee replaced Rouvais to provide an outlet up front and hold the ball up releasing runners like Tommy Johnson and Rory Thomas to terrorise the defence. Johnson coming the closest to scoring as his shot went into the side netting. Callum Briggs also returned to shore up the defence but again Williams was called upon to make several fine saves to keep the visitors at bay and Selkirk had a good shout for a penalty waved away. Wrington also had chances as Max Brean harried his man to win a 50/50 challenge and release Johnson in on goal and a smart turn and shot from Lee was narrowly wide. However, at 1 – 0 there were still some nervy moments and in the last minute a Tom Leeson Header saw Williams at full stretch before clearing which fittingly gave him the last word as the games standout player.