Nailsea kindly hosted the match with both Wrington and Congresburys’ pitches unfit and both teams desperate for some football. With Nailsea challenging for the league and Wrington rock bottom, Wrington were grateful to be bolstered by three players from the Reserves and two new signings, George Martin and Andrew Lilly. However, this didn’t seem to make any difference and Nailsea with a good mixture of young legs and old heads started the better of the two teams. Wrington struggled for any cohesion and all the 50/50s and ricochets seemed to fall to Nailsea. With Phil Williams still injured with a poorly toenail, no one took command and the team was strangely quiet. As a result the ball was given away too often. Will Simmons looked lively on the left for Nailsea forcing two corners in quick succession. From the second the cross fell to Lee Cogan who fired home despite a deflection from several defenders. Despite Jake Betts working hard in midfield, Wrington could not settle into the game and Rory Thomas and Paul Faulkner didn’t see enough of the ball. Nailsea soon doubled their lead as Cogan ran through again and forced a penalty. Captain Sam Lamper coolly sent Billy Thomas the wrong way from the spot to put Nailsea in control. Half time came at a good time for Wrington.

After the break with Nick Curtis replacing the unlucky Sam Fowkes due to injury, Wrington seemed a different team controlling the ball and playing much better football. James Marshall and Paul Faulkner started to hold the ball up and a perfect lay off saw Kevin Wall blast a shot into the top corner from 30 yards. A super goal but his rather muted celebration needs some work. With increased confidence Wrington pushed on and a corner evaded everyone and through to Clements who skipped past a defender to the byline and his cross saw Curtis scramble the ball across the line from a yard. His celebration on the other hand put Wall to shame especially as there was a hint of an own goal!

The game could have gone either way. Nailsea looked dangerous from set pieces and Henry Simmons caused problems with his pace down the right. For Wrington, Marshall controlled the ball superbly in the box. With players desperate for a lay off either side and others just waiting for him to pull the trigger himself……he got stuck in the mud and fell over! Paul Faulkner escaped down the right and Rob Buckland converted the pull back for the goal his all action display deserved. Nailsea now responded and it took several good saves from Billy Thomas to keep the lead in tact. After concerted pressure Nailsea looked certain to score. Simmons escaped down the right and his cross shot saw three Nailsea players certain to convert only for the ball to brush the post and out for a relieving goal kick. On the other hand no one wanted extra time!!

Man of the Match…..Jake Betts