This was the last chance for Wrington Redhill to realistically get a winning result to keep them in the Premier Division of the Uhlsport Somerset County League. Their visitors are one place above them and this was the proverbial six-pointer fixture and failing to secure the needed victory will almost certainly see the team relegated at the end of the season.

The home side really went for the victory and had the major share of possession during the first half with some excellent passing approach play but the story of the season has been the inability to convert this into goals. Chances came involving the lively Jake White with one cross just eluding Joe Creese and then another drifting from the left which looked to have deceived Westfield’s goalkeeper Joshua Matthews but he managed to back track and collect the ball. The best chance came following a good run down the left flank by Ethan Johnson who fed Ethan Williams then on to Ollie Clements whose effort rose over the crossbar. Matthews smothered a shot from Creese and Ben Griffiths saw his shot go wide of a post.

Despite this dominance warning bells rang late on in the half when twice Westfield broke away from defence and Ryan Allen headed straight to home ‘keeper Matt Hill and followed up with a ‘goal’ which was disallowed for an offside decision. It was all square at the break with strong performances from Leigh White and Mike Rowcliffe marshalling the midfield and defence units respectively.

Within ten minutes of the restart Wrington Redhill’s fate was sealed as defensive lapses allowed Westfield to score twice in the space of a minute. Ryan Allen was allowed to race through on goal and slot past Hill and quickly after Chris Tucker added another following poor defending. At 2-0 down hopes were briefly raised when Leigh White’s overhead strike found the top corner of the net. 

Adam Caulfield and George Martin replaced Chris Bradley and Jake White and the home side desperately sought to get back on level terms and half chances were created for Ollie Clements, Rowcliffe, Williams. This all out attack left them open to the counter attack and Hill made a point blank save from Adam Pugsley’s strike and very late on Ethan Johnson was penalised for a late tackle conceding a penalty which was blasted into the net by Darren Gibbs to end the game at 3-1 to the visitors.

Bill Gough man of the match was awarded to Mike Rowcliffe.

GK, Matt Hill

Defence: Chris BradleyTom Sage, Mike Rowcliffe, Ethan Williams

Midfield: Joe CreeseBen Griffiths, Leigh White, Ollie Clements

Forwards: Ethan Williams, Jake White

Subs: Adam Caulfield (for Ethan WilliamsGeorge Martin (for Jake White), Sam Clements (for Joe Creese)