The New Year got off to a poor start with defeat to visitors Nailsea United. It was generally a scrappy game on a heavy pitch which seemed to favour the younger and fleet footed opponents in adapting to the conditions.

It was the home side that started the brightest and on five minutes Leigh White picked up the ball just inside the visitor’s half, made some ground then passed the ball to Ollie Clements on the right flank and his low drilled cross into the box was met by Mike Rowcliffe who fired the ball into the net after ‘keeper Jack Smith smothered his first attempt. With an early 1-0 lead it was hoped that Wrington Redhill would go on to gain confidence and continue to take the game to Nailsea. However it was Nailsea that turned up the heat. First Joe Sharps fired wide when breaking down the right but an equaliser came from a corner from James Springett which was headed across goal by Stuart Lee to an unmarked Adam Marsland. His overhead kick flew into the roof of the net with Matt Hill soundly beaten.

Whilst never giving up Wrington Redhill were having difficulties in getting controlled moves going and running out of ideas in the final third of the pitch. Nailsea on the other hand seemed to make light work of the heavy conditions and as a result took the lead just after the half hour mark. Matt Day approached from the right flank and a ball into the goal area was met by Sam Olsen who slotted the ball into the net.

Wrington Redhill’s main attempt came from a corner from Clements but ‘keeper Smith got to the ball first and cleared the danger. The hammer blow soon followed on the stroke of half time. Nailsea’s Rob Brown’s cross field ball found Rob Sharps who fired a long range shot over Hill for a 3-1 half time lead.

A key moment came with 30 minutes remaining when defender Tom Richens grabbed Rowcliffe just inside the penalty area with a clear cut chance at goal opening up before him. The referee immediately pointed to the spot and up stepped Clements but his well; struck kick was equally matched with Smith diving to his right and pushing the ball awayfrom goal. Even the Nailsea contingent agreed a goal then would have seen the momentum swing back to Wrington & Redhill and trouble the visitors further. However with 15 minutes from time Nailsea struck the goal to completely seal the game following an interchange of passes with Matt Day striking home.

Late on Wrington Redhill produced probably the best move of the game with Rowcliffe passing to White onto Jake Betts then Dutch Holland finally to Chris Bradley who unfortunately was marginally offside before the chance to get a shot at goal. The game finished at 4-1 to Nailsea United who were well worth the three points from the game.

A series of more home games now follow and it is essential that the players re-group and take on the instructions of the management team of Leigh White and Mark Brown in their performances in an effort to climb the league table to safety.

GK, Matthew Hill

DefenceOllie Clements, Callum Briggs, Jason Potter, Ethan JohnsonRory Thomas

Midfield, Chris Bradley, Leigh White, Adam Caulfield
Forwards, Michael RowcliffeGeorge Martin

Subs: Chris Holland (for Adam Caulfield), Jake Betts (for Rory Thomas), Joe Moore (for Leigh White