The final score line had a rather harsh look and didn’t really fully reflect the game. Thetwo sides are at opposite ends of the league table but Wrington Redhill more than matched their title-chasing visitors, although they could not match their finishing.

It could have been the home side taking the lead within five minutes of the start. Mike Rowcliffe found space on the left flank and his curling cross just evaded the on-rushing Leigh White but still struck the post and rebounded away. There was a positive and confident feel in the side with subtle team shape changes allowing Jake Betts to act as an early pivot for the front two of Rowcliffe and Chris Holland to play off.

This bright start was dealt a blow on ten minutes when Chilcompton were awarded a penalty when Callum Briggs was adjudged to have clipped Kieran Robinson just inside the box. It was Robinson who composed himself and struck the penalty past the scrambling Matt Hill in goal for a 1-0 lead. This setback did little to upset Wrington Redhill’s morale with Sam Clements back from suspension playing an important role at the heart of the defence winning crucial headers at both ends of play with Jason Potter covering around the defence. At every opportunity Ollie Clements and Ethan Johnson sought to make ground on the flanks to stretch their opponents back line. Matt Hill saved an effort from Toby Cole and Toby Brooks Scully was a handful in midfield although White and Bradley limited a lot of his work. 

With the half time break approaching Wrington Redhill had a chance to draw level when Rowcliffe just could not get a touch to a Bradley cross. The hosts were then dealt a further blow when from a scramble in the goal area Jake Brooks-Scully poked in goal number two with the last kick of the half.

The second half was again much the same and Wrington Redhill enjoyed a little purple patch putting Chilcompton under pressure. An inviting Ollie Clements corner was forced away and then came the home side’s best chance of the game. Bradley burst through from midfield with only the keeper to beat. His first effort was parried by Kyle Phillips and Bradley’s second effort antagonising struck the post. A goal then would have put Wrington Redhill right back into the game. This was not to be when Brooks-Scully mopped up a poor clearance and set up Toby Cole to fire past Hill for a 3-0 lead with fifteen minutes left on the clock.

Despite this further setback more chances came with substitute George Martin’s burst forward towards goal blocked off, Sam Clements long range effort pushed away for a corner by Phillips. Ethan Johnson had a similar shot cleared and the visitors also cleared the ball off the line from another corner into the box. The final opportunity came just before the end when a poor clearance by Phillips found Holland but his effort from some distance failed to reach the target.

In summary a disappointing result but a much spirited performance both in terms of work ethic and execution of game plans set out by Leigh White and Mark Brown. New signing Jack Biggs made a promising substitute debut and George Martin and Rory Thomas backed the team up when called into action. Next week’s home game against Clutton who are just one place above in the league is crucial in keeping in touch with the bunch of teams in the lower half of the league table and the continued backing of home supporters will be fully appreciated by the playing squad.

Bill Gough man of the match – Sam Clements

GK, Matthew Hill


Defence: Ollie Clements, Callum Briggs, Jason Potter, Sam Clements, Ethan Johnson

Midfield: Chris Bradley, Leigh White, Jake Betts
Forwards: Michael RowcliffeChris Holland

Subs: Jack Biggs (for Jake Betts), George Martin for (Callum Briggs), Rory Thomas (for Ethan Johnson)