Wrington Reserves 3 v Draycott 4 – W & D Div One

After a string of encouraging results and a defence that has developed over the season, Wrington welcomed Draycott to The Rec keen to test themselves against the free scoring, unbeaten side. Adam Caulfield joined Briggs and Holland in the back three which meant Tom Clark was given his first start in midfield. Draycott started brightly and forced an early corner. The perfect far post delivery allowed Captian Wayne Scorse to rise above the defence and head the visitors into an early lead. Wrington tried to respond but as they pushed forward a long diagonal ball released Alex Brandrick who raced clear down the left and finished expertly with the outside of his left foot. With such a disasterous start, mAny sides would have crumbled but amongst others, Louvais would not allow this to happen and largely by his strength of character dragged Wrington back into the game reacting sharpest when the ball fell to him in the box. With the game now an even contest, Wrington received another hammer blow. From a free kick on the halfway a crowded penalty area allowed Draycott to block off a couple of defenders which left Peter Symons on his own to head past Williams to restore the two goal lead. Coach Williams reacted by pulling Clements back into the midfield and pushing the in form Tommy Johnson further forward trying to release him from the shackles of the physical defence. With the midfield now battling for every ball, Joe Moore unaccustomed to playing on the left, grew into the game and a slide rule pass released that man Louvais. He made no mistake, finding the bottom corner to keep the home side well in the game at half time. Although playing uphill in the second half it was Wrington who appeared to grow stronger and with Johnson and Louvais a constant threat it was no surprise when Johnson laid Louvais on for his hat trick with another precise finish. With the pitch cutting up and taking its toll, Draycott made a raft of substitutions and Wrington brought on Phil Williams for Paul Burnett who had contested every ball before giving in to his dodgy knees. It was Wrington now pushing for the winner and Moore was unlucky to be given offside when through. Phil Williams was also unlucky when following his own interception on the edge of his penalty area, he found himself baring down on goal at the other end. He was just about to pull the trigger when Louvais return pass was intercepted. A draw was the least Wrington deserved but football doesn’t work like that. Following a speculative long ball, the ball was passed back to Williams in goal. He connected cleanly but midfielder Stan Smith had continued his run and the ball ricocheted into the goal despite Brigg’s despairing efforts. There was just time for Wrington to win a free kick which Moore delivered perfectly finding Louvais 6 yards out only for his volley to nestle into the keepers midriff with several Wrington players sinking to their knees. With no games scheduled for February, The Reserves should take heart from the character of their display and the form of Man of the Match Louvais (pictured) rather than the result.