Having to travel to highly league placed Watchet on an Easter Saturday was always going to be a tough fixture but the whole team could hold their heads up high following a spirited performance and deservedly came away with a point.

Wrington Redhill took the game to their opponent’s right from the start winning a succession of early corners with Leigh White twice going close from deliveries by Ollie Clements and Jake White. Mike Rowcliffe had a shot blocked and Jake White and front man Ethan Williams were linking well in the wave of attacks into the host’s area. An excellent passing move came from Joe Moore, Ethan Johnson and Jake White combining to set up Leigh White whose final shot went just wide of a post.

Watchet always looked dangerous on the counter attack and a long ball found Tom Sparks with only ‘keeper Matt Hill in front of him but somehow Rowcliffe got back and made a superb block tackle to avert the danger. Shortly after Hill appeared to have been impeded in clearing a ball at the edge of his box the ball reaching Billy Jones whose lob into the goal area just sailed over the bar with Hill being left stranded.

Chris Bradley saw his crashing effort rebound off underside of the cross bar for safety before Jake White’s deft pass found Williams whose lob evaded home ‘keeper Adam Bishop but bounced agonisingly wide. As the half time break approached it was end to end play with Ethan Johnson making some good runs down the left flank and Joe Creese terrorising his marker on the right. The visitors also had some defending to do, Goalkeeper Hill made a good save from an Eben Harding strike and Jason Potter coming to the rescue with a saving tackle to keep the score level at 0-0 at the interval.

Callum Briggs replaced the injured Bradley early into the second half and settled in at the right back position releasing Ollie Clements to move forward to the midfield and he and Leigh White kept probing the home side ensuring that the lively Jake White, Joe Creese and Ethan Williams were given the ball as much as possible as they were causing the home defence all sorts of problems well supported by Joe Moore himself having a fine game. However a defensive mix up needed Leigh White to race across the penalty area to take the ball off the Watchet danger-man Aaron Deeks about to let fly.

Wrington Redhill’s next attack saw Joe Moore curl a shot into the net but celebrations were quickly curtailed when it was ruled out for an off side infringement. And so the game went on to the finish with both sides seeking a winning goal but fittingly it ended all square having provided good entertainment for the large crowd.

Bill Gough man of the match: There were a number of contenders but it was awarded to Mike Rowcliffe for his dominant display at the heart of the defence.


GK, Matt Hill

Defence: Ollie Clements, Mike Rowcliffe, Jason Potter, Ethan Johnson

Midfield: Joe MooreJake WhiteLeigh White, Chris Bradley

Forwards: Ethan Williams, Joe Creese

Subs: Callum Briggs (for Chris Bradley), Sam Clements (unused), Mark Brown (unused)