After their mauling at the hands of Shirehampton last week, Wrington & Redhill restored some pride with this hard fought draw away to Stockwood Green. Player/Manager Leigh White made a few changes both in team selection and formation in a bid to tighten the team and provide outlets at the front. Chris Holland returned and partnered Mike Rowcliffe as the attacking duo and Adam Caulfield came in to the centre of midfield alongside Whitey. In defence there was a recall for Andy Lilley pairing with Sam Clements with Jason Potter sweeping behind them. This allowed the full backs of Callum Briggs and Ollie Clements to get forward when the opportunities allowed. Chris Bradley completed the right midfield position.

In the early stages Stockwood’s Stuart Oppery was yellow carded for a crunching tackle on Holland who, after treatment from physio Phil Williams, managed to return and complete the game. A Potter free kick led to an offside decision sparing the home side of a threat on goal and shortly after Stockwood’s Daniel Salvage saw his shot strike a post and the rebound scrambled away to safety. Ollie Clements saw his corner gathered by Tom Reid the home side’s ‘keeper. Wrington Redhill then had to dig in deep as Tom Phillips blazed over the bar followed by Jake Jarvis heading over. Another breakaway by the home side saw a long range shot from Lee Millard stinging the hands of Matt Hill before ending in the net for a 1-0 lead. The score line lasted to half time with a Bradley shot saved when he burst through on goal just before the break.

At the restart it was Wrington Redhill who threatened first with an Ollie Clements ball forward to Holland was cleared before testing the ‘keeper. At the other end Jack Dicker shot wide from a short distance. Whitey and Caulfield gave their all in the middle of the park and an equaliser always looked on the cards and it duly arrived on the hour when Ollie Clements from way outside of the box found the net with Reid having no chance in pulling off a save.

Tails were now up and Wrington Redhill were seeking a winner. Holland and Rowcliffe were harassing the home defence with their tremendous work rate. Chances fell to Whitey shooting over from distance, Bradders rounding the ‘keeper and then hitting the side netting, Rowcliffe shooting across goal but it was not to be. The hard work of the defence should not be overlooked with Sam Clements a colossal at the back well supported by Lilley and Potter and Hill looking more assured in goal. Briggs dealt with the threat of Sam Jackson down the left flank who always looked a danger when in possession of the ball.

Substitutes Ethan Johnson and George Martin kept up the momentum when called upon to clinch this important league point.

The Bill Gough Man of the Match was awarded to Adam Caulfield

GK, Matthew Hill
Defence, Callum Briggs, Sam Clements, Jason Potter, Andy Lilley, Ollie Clements
Midfield, Chris Bradley, Leigh White, Adam Caulfield
Forwards, Christopher Holland, Michael Rowcliffe
Subs: Ethan Johnson (for Sam Clements), George Martin (for Chris Holland)