Worle Rangers 2 Wrington Redhill reserves 3

Drove Road lived up to its billing as the last ground to be cancelled in Weston, so despite the deluge, Wrington reserves got to play their first game since the middle of October. Rangers on the other hand have been in good form and sit second in the league. Both sides took some time to acclimatise to the conditions with the visitors looking particularly rusty. With Dan Sandic and Ayrton Phillips looking sharp up front the home side looked dangerous but the first chances fell to Wrington with Charlie Cressy firing over and Nick Curtis being adjudged offside when slotting in from close range. Another offside decision went against the visitors and from the free kick, a long ball found Phillips racing clear unhindered to fire home the opener . Wrington were struggling to combat the strong wind and a poor clearance ricocheted to Sandic who had a clear run on goal. Paul Faulkner got a good hand on the shot but couldn’t prevent it from crossing the line as Earey followed up. Despite conceding two sloppy goals, it still felt a keen contest. Holland and Burnett battled hard in midfield while the back four of Taplin, Briggs, Tucker and Cox contested every tackle with Cox particularly trying to spark his team with some words of advice. Even so it took several good saves from Faulkner in the Wrington goal to keep the score at 2 nil at half time.

Now with the strengthening wind in their favour, the visitors flew out of the blocks with Ethan Williams prominent. He harried the home defence into a mistake and drew the foul for a penalty which Johnson dispatched with minimum fuss. With protestations over stepping the mark, Rangers also found one of their players in the sin bin. It was now the home side that found themselves penned in their own half  and Williams again ran at the defence before setting up Johnson for his second. With the scores level and Rangers back to their full compliment, the match became an even contest with some fully committed challenges. Both sides had their chances with Rangers forcing Charlie Cressy to clear from his own goal line and James Locker palming away another Johnson effort.

With 20 minutes left, a Cressy free kick was launched into the Rangers box and fell to Wrington Sub James Marshall who thumped the ball against the bar. With players from both sides scrabbling for the ball, Nick Tucker headed home the rebound. The home side responded and Wrington needed subs Mark Scudamore and Jon Marsh to bolster the defence to keep them at bay. The last 10 minutes seemed to take an eternity to complete as Wrington held on for a morale boosting win.