• Winscombe 2 Wrington Redhill 1

Wrington Redhill’s Saturday fixture away to Welton Rovers Reserves fell foul to the awful stormy conditions that caused a large number of games to be postponed. The Government’s announcement of a further Covid-19 Lockdown later in the day means any further matches could be some way off at Grassroots level.

However the team were in midweek action having accepted an invitation from Winscombe FC to play in a fixture to commemorate and celebrate the inauguration of their new floodlights installed recently. This was arranged as a league fixture and despite the constant rain and at times torrential downpours during the day the pitch was passed fit to play and all credit is due to the ground staff and referee Dylan Baylis for proceeding with the game.

For their part all the players of both sides produced a highly entertaining and competitive game befitting the occasion.

Wrington Redhill player/manager Leigh White had to make changes due to unavailability and injuries of keeper Matt Hill, skipper Ethan Johnson and Joe Creese. In came James Williams in goal and Chris Holland and Tom Johnson were added to the squad. White dropped back into the centre of defence, Simon Hewish slotted in at right back and Ollie Clements moved into midfield alongside Sam (Parky) Harvey. The armband was given to long serving senior player Rory Thomas.

Both teams set out to play attractive attacking football and there were certainly many talented players on show although most attacks were thwarted by defences and White showed all his experience in marshalling his back line and initiating the counter attacks. Just short of the half hour mark, James Williams pulled off quick successive efforts, first tipping a William Manning strike over the crossbar and then pushing away a fine drive by Oliver Wynn. Wrington Redhill’s best chance fell to Sam Harvey who received a free kick from Ollie Clements and his low drive at goal was hurriedly dealt with by the home custodian Daniel Bullock.

With ten minutes to half time Winscombe struck twice just after a dangerous cross by Rory Thomas was dealt with by Bullock. A corner was won by the home side and the resultant delivery was met by Robert Harraway who headed past Williams. This was quickly followed by a run from the right by Daniel Morris cutting inside and firing well into the net. White’s side never give up and came close to an equaliser when Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyi fired over the cross bar. Simon Hewish showed his battling qualities by winning the ball on the right and feeding George Fake who took a touch and then unleashed a great left footed shot into the top left corner reducing the arrears for a half time score of 2-1 to the hosts.

As the second half proceeded it was Wrington Redhill on the front foot and starting to make their mark on the game. There were a number of times when Clements, Harvey, Ferguson-Obamwonyi and Fake were linking well and causing all sorts of problems. Ethan Williams was added to the fray in place of Matt Walsh and helped Fake at the front line and later Tom Johnson and Chris Holland added fresh impetus with a view to seeking adeserved share of the spoils. Unfortunately the elusive equaliser did not come with the only real threat from Winscombe being snuffed out by the ever alert White who received good support from his central defending colleague Dan Ferguson.

It was the home team willing the referee to bring the game to an end and cling on to the 3 points and it was a genuine shame that Wrington Redhill were empty handed although all heads could be held high for a superb performance in the conditions. Thanks are also expressed to Winscombe for their invitation for the midweek opportunity to play under lights which certainly adds great atmosphere to the game.

The man of the match was given to Leigh White

Goalkeeper: James Williams

Defence: Matt Walsh, Dan Ferguson, Leigh White, Ryan Pugh

Midfield: Simon Hewish, Sam Harvey, Ollie Clements, Rory Thomas

Forwards: George Fake, Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyi

Subs: Ethan Williams (for Matt Walsh), Tom Johnson (for Ryan Pugh, Chris Holland (for Rory Thomas)