Wrington comeback runs out of time.


Both teams were keen to put their league form behind them and achieve some momentum in the cup which resulted in a open, entertaining game. Wrington reserves settled first and with Phil Williams organising the side from the back played some good football. However, as has happened regularly this year the ball just would not stick up front with several chances missed whilst the slightest mistake at the back instantly results in going behind. A poor defensive header fell to Chris England and his precise first time 25 yarder gave Nailsea the lead. A couple of cheap free kicks saw the home side launch the ball into the box and with the goal keeper unable to-gather, the ball got stuck under a defenders foot and a toe poke doubled the lead. Even worse was to follow as a back pass created unnecessary pressure for the visitors and a poor clearance presented an even simpler tap in. From having looked the better side, after 20 minutes, Wrington found themselves three nil down out of nowhere. The new look defence which saw Callum Briggs and Louis louvrais forming a solid partnership couldn’t believe their bad luck. To their credit Wrington continued to play and with the energetic Anthony Badman driving them forward from midfield, applied constant pressure on Nailsea leading up to half time. With Mickey Edmunds delivering a series of brilliant crosses from dead ball situations a goal had to come and a loose ball finally fell to Edmunds himself who fired into the corner to get them back into the game. With Johnson and Selman growing in confidence, it was Nailsea who welcomed the half time break having survived a strong penalty appeal as Curtis was fouled.

The break seemed to check some of Wringtons’ momentum and it took them sometime to get back into their stride. Johnson was unlucky as he hit the post and the rebound somehow split three attackers and went to safety. However, as they pushed Curtis and Rouvais further forward Nailsea seems to tire and chances came thick and fast. A strong run by Selman finally released Johnson who slotted home and with 15 minutes left the game was in the balance. However, With Nailsea breaking up the game with three substitutions and various stoppages, time ran out and it is Nailsea who progress.
Wrington can only console themselves in a much improved performance and must now look to improve their league form and stop conceding soft goals before they have a chance of getting into the match.

Team: James Williams,Tom Clark, Callum Briggs,Phil Williams,Louis Rouvais,Matt Lenny, Anthony Badman,Nick Curtis, Kyle Selman, Mickey Edmunds, Tommy Johnson. sub Mike Clements ( 60 mins)