Wrington Redhill 0 Staplegrove 1

The way this game started it looked like there was going to be plenty of goals but it was only one that finally settled the result in a well contested encounter. It was Wrington Redhill who created the first wave of attacks with Dan Ferguson striking the cross bar from an Ollie Clements corner. This was quickly followed by a twisting turn from Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyi and a pass to George Fake who saw his fierce shot palmed away by the visiting keeper for another corner. As usual Sam Parkinson and Leigh White battled away in midfield prompting Joe Creese, Ferguson-Obamwonyi and Fake to attack as much as possible but just lacked the final scoring edge.

In a good spell for Staplegrove they brought out good saves from Matt Hill with a double save from lively forwards. Ferguson-Obamwonyi went on a mazy run leaving three defenders in his wake but unfortunately his effort at goal was not to match as the ball was cleared to safety. Wrington’s best effort was came from Fake from a deft Rory Thomas cross from the left and out of nowhere a defender scooped to clear off the line preventing the home side taking the lead. Just after Dan Ferguson and White defended well from a dangerous free kick into the penalty area and Creese was brought down when looking threatening down the left flank but the half ended all square at 0-0.

In the second period Hill made an early save and on a counter attack Creese was flagged offside and momentarily the team switched off. Staplegrove took a quick free kick high into the home team half and a mix up between Hill and Ethan Johnson allowed the lively Mario Franco to nip in between them and fire the ball into the net for a 1-0 lead. This spurred Wrington back into life and another penetrating run by Ferguson-Obamwonyi ended with a shot which drifted agonisingly wide.

To add fresh legs Matt Walsh, Simon Hewish and Ethan Williams were introduced into the fray and kept plugging away in seek of a deserved equaliser. The nearest Wrington got was when Fake challenged for high ball into the box and the advancing keeper collided with him but the referee penalised Fake and gave him a yellow card when some thought it should have been a penalty.

A disappointing result but the overall performance was good and even the opposition went home knowing that they had been in a competitive game and lucky to reap the spoils of all three points for the close 1-0 victory.

Goalkeeper: Matthew Hill

Defence: Ollie ClementsDan FergusonEthan Johnson, Ryan Pugh

Midfield: Joe Creese, Sam HarveyLeigh White, Rory Thomas

Forwards: George fake, Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyi

Subs: Simon Hewish (for Ollie Clements), Ethan Williams (for Ryan Pugh), Matt Walsh (for Rory Thomas)