This was another tough fixture away to mid table Middlezoy Rovers, the ground very open to the very strong wind which blew from one end of the pitch to the other making ball control difficult for both sides.

Although facing the wind it was the home side that won a corner from the start although Dan Luce headed well wide and soon after Mike Rowcliffe sawhis shot rise high and wide on the wind.

As in recent games Wrington Redhill created a number of chances but fell just short of converting them into goals which will surely come before much longer. Player/Manager Leigh White with Adam Caulfield alongside him continued to drive his team on from midfield ensuring his young guns Ben Griffiths, Joe Creese and Ethan Williams had as much of the ball as possible. It was this trio causing the home defence problems with Williams picking up a throw in and his strike pass a post and a cross from Griffiths just too deep for Creese to stab home.

Further chances came Creese a little short of getting onto White’s pass and then Griffiths took the ball off a defender runs clear at goal only to be smothered by home ‘keeper Greg Turner as he shot. Williams from the left flank cut in on his right and fired a drive which passed the far post on the wrong side and another chance was lost as the ball ran away on the wind when again only the ‘keeper to beat. The last chance of the half came when Callum Briggs broke up play and fed White whose shot was deflected away for a corner so no score at the break.

It was Wrington Redhill’s turn to face the wind in the second half and it could not have got off any worse when Jed Williams pounced on a clearance got to the right bi-line before drilling the ball across goal and found Callum Laird who had escaped from his marker and side footed the ball past Matt Hill to take a 1-0 lead. Conceding so soon and with the elements against them there was the familiar sinking feeling from the loyal band of supporters but the team held its resolve. Jason Potter fought for every ball at the heart of the defence, Callum Briggs was tackling fiercely and Chris Bradley and Ollie Clements playing their parts as Middlezoy were resorting to long ball tactics to take advantage or the wind.

When possible Wrington Redhill mounted their own attacks with White heading a Clements’ corner at the ‘keeper and Bradley heading wide from a Clements’ free kick. Laird broke on the right for Middlezoy but his shot went across goal and Potter and Briggs combined to clear from their goal line. Jake White was introduced with 15 minutes remaining and immediately made an impact with his control, movement and passing as the team went all out to seek an equaliser that would have been deserved. It was Middlezoy hanging on. Their biggest scare came when Clements fed a ball through to substituteGeorge Martin his shot deflected to White with the goalkeeper frantically diving at his feet although a flag for off side had already been raised

Despite these heroics a long ball out of defence got beyond the defence and Jed Williams raced onto to it and coolly slotted past the advancing Hill to clinch the game with a harsh looking final 2-0 result.

Next week the team are on the road again to Ilminster Town in search of valuable points in their fight against relegation and on this showing can have confidence that survival is possible.

Bill Gough man of the match was awarded to Jason Potter who was back to his best at the heart of the defence.

GK, Matt Hill

Defence: Callum Briggs, Chris Bradley, Jason Potter, Ollie Clements

Midfield: Joe Creese, Ben Griffiths, Leigh White, Adam Caulfield

Forwards: Ethan Williams, Mike Rowcliffe

Subs: Jake White (for Mike Rowcliffe), George Martin (for Jason Potter), Andy Lilley (for Callum Briggs)