Wrington Redhill Vets. 2. V. Isle Of Wedmore Vets. 2. Somerset Legends League Group 2

A superb freekick a la Alexander-Arnold, in off the inside of the post and a far post diving header from Dan McMullen in the last 10 minutes of the game saved Wringtons’ unbeaten record and sent them to top of the table. However, for much of the game, it looked like for all of the home sides’ passing football and numerous crosses into the box, Isle of Wedmore would defend their first half advantage where goals from Dan Eames and Dave Wright put them 2 – nil ahead . It could be claimed that both came against the run of play and were of Wringtons’ own making but both were well taken. Until then the new 3 man defence of Marsh, Lenny and Clements looked comfortable with Thomas and Balicki providing width as wing backs. With his boyish looks and endless marauding up and down the left wing Thomas showed far too much running for a Vets game and frustration grew as the formidable defence of Matt Drew and Jamie Balsom repelled numerous crosses despite James Marshall’s best efforts and time and again chances went missing with no one attacking the back post. It also made the home side vulnerable to the counter attack and with a three man midfield Wedmore were very dangerous on the break. Wringtons’ new look midfield of Flynn, Morley, Valle and Anderson showed great energy but needed a little while to establish a settled formation. With Marshall a little isolated at times with no one latching on to his flick on’s and hold ups, Simon Garrett was sent on and made some progress on the left before being stopped in his tracks by a rather large dog on the touchline who seemed to take exception to him.

Wrington had to regroup at half time but at least had the strong wind and slope in their favour. With Eddie Farrow in goal distributing well…..apart from the odd ‘Laid Back’ moment…..the home side improved their passing, link up play and kept Wedmore pinned in their own half for long periods. However, Wedmore held firm and defended stoutly. As the minutes ticked down, it looked like it was going to be one of those games for the home side and even Thomas blamed a bobble for a wild attempt at a cross. But driven on by Flynn in the midfield and everyone showing great spirit even after Anderson, Balicki and Clements had put in 90 minutes for the reserves the previous day, they refused to fold. Jonny Marsh decided on a tactical change and gave himself a ‘Free Role’ more akin to the Clements play book. Finally with 10 minutes left, a handball gave McMullen the chance with a central free kick , 25 yards out from which he made no mistake. Nico Anderson then provided the cross and finally McMullen attacked the back post and his diving header provided the equalizer although I can’t bring myself to describe it as a ‘flying’ header. With their tales up Wrington went for the winner but time was all but up and they had to settle for the draw …….for which in the end they were grateful.