• Wrington Redhill 2 Clutton 4

With the regular league season having been permanently suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdowns over the past year, the Somerset County Football League, with backing from member clubs decided to introduce a Cup competition to provide Clubs with competitive football. The initial games are being played on a mini league basis and Wrington Redhill were placed in a tough group with two Premier division sides, Clutton and Mendip Boardwalk and fellow Division 1 highfliers Winscombe.

This first game back after an enforced break of three and a half months was against Clutton who had lost just one game prior to the curtailment of the league programme. However, it was Wrington Redhill that started brightly playing some attractive passing football which saw an early shot from Ethan Williams going wide of goal. A throw-in by Ryan Pugh to Ethan Johnson was passed on to Ollie Clements who saw his shot go just wide.

Almost against the run of play Clutton found themselves ahead. A mix up between goalkeeper and defence allowed the ball to reach Adam Holcombe on the left and his cross shot slid in just inside the far post. The home side continued to press and were rewarded with an equaliser following good exchanges between Sam Parkinson and Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyi fed Ethan Williams who then fired an unstoppable strike leaving the visitor’s keeper no chance of keeping the ball out.

It looked like Wrington Redhill were going to take the lead when a free kick was taken by Ferguson-Obamwonyi, the cross being met by the head of Dan Ferguson at the far post but went agonisingly the wrong side of the post.

The game then changed in a strange fashion on the half hour mark. Shortly before Ryan Pugh had to leave the field due to contact with his face and bleeding mouth which he later had to seek hospital treatment. A penalty should have been awarded but it can only be assumed the referee did not see the incident. Rory Thomas was brought on and following a hefty 50/50 tackle with Clutton skipper Harry Wansley play was delayed for several minutes until eventually Wansley was stretchered off the pitch. When play resumed the hosts just could not find their rhythm again and were lucky not to concede further prior to half time with efforts from Rory Price, Alex Price and Sam Krug all off target.

The second half started badly as straightaway Matt Hill parried a shot from Max James behind for a corner. This was taken by Rory Price and Zach Evans powered into the box and headed the ball in for a 2-1 lead. Wrington Redhill tried to get back into the game sending players forward and Leigh White had an effort smothered by keeper Will Pope.

Some poor defending allowed Clutton to score again with breakaways with Ben Corfieldand Momo Sanneh increasing the lead to 4-1. In the dying minutes Ferguson-Obamwonyi was brought down in the penalty area and Ollie Clements stepped up to fire the spot kick past Pope for a final score line of 4-2.

This young developing team has shown that there is an abundance of ability and flair in the squad, but they need to learn to cut out the individual errors and bring a consistency to the game as their experience grows. They need to listen carefully and implement the instructions from the wise heads of player manager Leigh White and his right-handassistants Mark Brown and Sam Clements.


Goalkeeper: Matt Hill.

Defence: Matt Walsh, Leigh White, Ethan Johnson Dan Ferguson

Midfield: Sam Parkinson, Ollie Clements, Reece FergusonObamwonyi, Ryan Pugh

Strikers: George Fake, Ethan Williams.

Subs. Joe Creese, Chris Bradley, Rory Thomas