No one could have predicted the final score line at half time in a game away to Fry Club who are vying for the league title and with this result moved to the top of the table. With three players unavailable changes had to be made to Wrington Redhill’s starting eleven with Sam Johnson and Mike Rowcliffe coming in with another promising youngster Jake White on the bench.

Both sides contended with strong windy conditions and tried to keep the balland play controlled football. The visitors were belying their lowly league position and taking the game to Fry’s upsetting their rhythm. However it was the hosts who took the lead on 10 minutes when Jakob White raced down the right flank picking up the ball before cutting in and striking across goal and finding the net off the inside of a post giving ‘keeper James Williams no chance to save. 

Wrington Redhill kept to their own game plan and created a number of chances with Ollie Clements just wide with a shot from distance and Ethan Williams through on the home ‘keeper Lewis George who managed to smother the ball. Ben Griffiths saw a shot go wide and Clements’ free kick was tipped over the cross bar by Lewis. The visitors deservedly equalised on 20 minutes when Mike Rowcliffe fed Griffiths and this time was able to poke the ball home for 1-1.

This goal spurred the side on and a strong run down the left flank from Rory Thomas saw his dangerous cross sliced away by a defender. Griffiths was causing all sorts of trouble to the home defence winning a number of free kicks and from one Sam Johnson had his kick saved at the far post. Williams saw another shot saved and Jason Potter fed Leigh White who saw his effort go over the bar and Rowcliffe had a shot pushed away by the busy Lewis. Fry’s were limited to few chances with Chris Bradley making timely tackles and James Williams mopping up behind his defence.

Hopes of going into the  break on level pegging took a blow when from the last kick of the half, a corner by Ryan Madge held up on the wind and Jason Potter’s attempted clearance came off his head and into the net, a cruel blow for all the side’s efforts especially when in a relegation battle for survival.

Fry’s came out in the second half with all guns blazing and forced their opponents onto the back foot winning a number of corners. Within 10 minutes their lead was extended when Paul Worlock shot through a group of players into the net. Fry’s were in control now although before starting their late goal spree it might have been different had Ethan Williams shot at goal gone in instead of striking the crossbar and Bradley’s ball to White bringing another Lewis save.

With fifteen minutes to go the wheels came off and Fry’s added 4 goals to their tally the scorers being Nick Walters (2), Callum Baker and Edward Searle for a 7-1 final score which on reflection seemed somewhat harsh in consideration of the efforts over 90 minutes.

The fight against relegation continues next week away to Middlezoy Rovers and Leigh White and Mark Brown will need all their powers to lift the squad although without doubt the young players introduced by White bodes well for the future regardless of which division the Club face next season.

Bill Gough man of the match was awarded to Ben Griffiths

GK, James Williams

Defence: Ollie Clements, Sam Johnson, Chris Bradley, Jason Potter

Midfield: Joe Creese, Ben Griffiths, Leigh White, Mike Rowcliffe

Forwards: Ethan Williams, Rory Thomas

Subs: Jake White (for Rory Thomas), George Martin (for Ethan Williams), Mark Brown(not used)