Wrington Redhill reserves 3 Cheddar A 2.

I am aware my last few reports stretched credibility, suggesting heavy defeats were unlucky. But after this performance against the previously unbeaten Cheddar, as the old football chant goes…..’ and now you’re going to believe us’!

With the availability merry go round turning again, Wrington Redhill were buoyed by the return of stalwarts Louis Rouvais and Paul Burnett with Nick Curtis back from his suspension. Simon Lee was tempted back by a new kit which he assumed would mean a team photo.
Cal Briggs and Tom Cleeves formed an impressive new centre back pairing and Joe Moore with Chris Holland continued their dominant form in midfield. However, it was Jake Benney who was lively throughout on the right who won a freekick in a dangerous position. Although Anderson under hit the cross it fell kindly for Holland whose neat turn and shot beat Llewellyn to open the scoring. With a lead to hold onto, Wrington Redhill looked in control and started to pass the ball well so it was a bit of a surprise when Ben Harris wriggled free in the box and won a penalty. Sam Smiths long run up disguised a bobbled shot which did just enough to bounce over Louvais who had fallen the right way.

The match then settled into an even tussle until approaching half time, Curtis raided down the left and combined well with Dan Foan whose pass allowed Curtis room for a cross/shot which lobbed beautifully in to the top corner of the net. Whether intentional or not …it didn’t stop Curtis giving it the full aeroplane celebration around the corner flag. With only a few minutes until halftime, Cheddar A  responded and although several defenders had the chance to clear including an injudicious back heal, the ball bounced around the goal mouth and although Rouvais made a save it fell to Ben Harris who levelled the scores. This seemed a body blow to the home side who were suddenly under pressure but the half ended when Clements released Bonney down the right and his shot slid agonisingly wide.

It was Cheddar who started the second half stronger and it needed Rouvais to make several crucial saves. In truth, both sides seemed to tire and the game lost some of its tempo. Wrington were reliant on Simon Lee and Nico Anderson who held up the ball well relieving some of the pressure. It was Lee who latched onto a passing move involving Clements, Benny and Anderson to set up Holland with a perfect dummy that looked like a muscle injury before his pass found Holland whose low shot makes it 4 goals in five games for the skipper. As Cheddar pushed forward, Dean Rix and Zibi Ballicki were brought on for the home side but they were now under almost constant pressure. As free kicks and corners rained in, Rouvais held firm apart from one slip as the ball squirted from his hands only for Curtis to be the one of four defenders on the line to clear. Anderson had the chance to settle the match as one on one with the keeper and despite the crowd seemingly celebrating twice….on his third attempted he sent the ball wide. This miss led to 10 more tense minutes as Wrington held on for their first win of the season.