Saturday 27th December 2014

Wrington Redhill v Stockwood Green

Wrington welcomed Stockwood Green to the ‘The Rec’ this Saturday. The pitch again gave cause for concern as Fridays’ rain must have come close to having the game called off.

However, the brilliant work of Trevor Cleeve managed to get the game on.

The game kicked off with Wrington playing up the slope. An even start to the game saw both sides trying to play. On 20 minutes the first real chance of the game fell to the visitors. A ball played down the side of Sam Clements saw the Stockwood forward run into the box, But once again Gary Clarke in the Wrington goal made a great save pushing the goal bound effort around the post.

Following a mistake in the away defence a chance then fell to Jason Eaton who shot over from 8 yards.

As the half wore on Stockwood took full control of the game and only disciplined defensive play held the away team at bay.

H/T 0-0

The home team hoped playing with the slope in the second half would hand the ascendency back them, but it was Stockwood who in fact maintained a firm grip on the game.

Then on 54 minutes from a Wrington cross Stockwood broke into the midfield that was devoid of any home team midfielders. Nathen Proberts ran unchallenged into the Wrington half and slid a lovely ball through to Mike Whittington who shot past Clarke into the bottom left corner of the Wrington goal.

The home management team waited until the 66th minute before making a triple substitution. On came Cheeseman, Holland and Lucas.

Wrington had up until then ‘huffed and puffed’ but never really looked like breaching the away teams defence.

This changed in the 75th minute when the excellent Mike Wallington crossed from the right to Cheeseman who controlled the ball instantly and stepping past two defenders smashed the ball low past the keeper into the net.


Then on 81 minutes, Stockwood’s Jake Jones played a long through ball to Anton Williams who with the home defenders backing off hit a shot low down to Clarkes’ right into the Wrington net.

As the home supporters began to fear the worst it again fell to the mercurial Cheeseman who on 83 minutes picked up the ball just inside the away teams half and sprinting clear of the Stockwood defenders coolly slid the ball past the onrushing keeper.


With time running out and the home team looking to have picked up an unlikely point they somehow changed it into stealing all 3 points.

On 88 minutes a Rich Lucas free kick was was sent into the box. Cheeseman was again there challenging the keeper for the ball. His challenge made the keeper punch the ball across goal instead of away. The ball fell to the ever alert Neil Andow who initially missed his kick but recovered quickly to hammer the the ball home form close range for the most unlikely of wins as the home team saw out the remaining time.

Rarely can a 25 minute cameo appearance from a substitute change a game so completely as did Club Captains Cheesemans’ performance.

A game the home team were never in control of that they somehow in the last 20 minutes found a way to win.

Home keeper Gary Clarke again keeping the team in the game with several good stops.

A great effort in appalling conditions by the home side who should be given great credit for ‘keeping going’ when nothing appeared to be working. Also a pat on the back for the management team for the triple substitution that completely changed the game.

MOTM : The irreplaceable Graham Cheeseman.