Yatton & Cleeve Utd 0 Wrington Redhill 3

Wrington Redhill were well worthy of the three points on offer in this local clash of teams at the wrong end of the league table. In the only game played in the First Division of the Uhlsport Somerset County League due to the continued inclement weather both teams did not let the soft and heavy pitch spoil their efforts with whole hearted efforts from both sets of players.

The early period saw the hosts on the front foot with Tommy Wellings racing through and his shot straight at James Williams to comfortably collect. James Bird headed over the bar from a Callum Phillips corner. Wrington Redhill captain Ethan Johnson was relieved to see his sliced clearance graze the crossbar and go over to safety.

It was certainly not one way traffic as the midfield trio of Rory Thomas, Leigh White and Ollie Clements started to get a hold on the game and on 25 minutes it was a Thomas cross just headed wide by the marauding Joe Creese. Creese had another chance saved by Garth Flynn from a George Fake assist. Williams had to be on full alert as Phillips advanced one on one making full use of his frame and saving with his left foot to safety.

As half time approached the visitor’s scored the all important first goal. It was Thomas again providing an excellent cross into the penalty area and George Fake guided the ball with his head into the net for his first goal for the Club.

After the restart the visitors were soon pressing the game with Fake and White combining to create a chance for Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyl well saved by Flynn. Simon Hewish fed Fake with a delightful ball that was lashed over the bar. Ferguson-Obamwonyl then fed White who shot wide and a Clements corner went begging for someone to slot home.

On the hour mark a double attacking substitution was made with Ethan Williams and the returning Jake Horton replacing Ferguson-Obamwonyl and the tiring Fake. Both were lively and probably left the field pondering how their names did not appear on the goal sheet especially Horton who found the net only to have been adjudged from an offside position.

With ten minutes from time the lively Creese from the side right fed a super ball into the path of the advancing Clements and his first time strike whistled into the roof of the net from the underside of the crossbar leaving Flynn no chance of saving to take a well deserved 2-0 lead. At this point Mark Brown replaced Thomas for a short cameo appearance adding a few quality passes to the front runners.

There was still time for Hewish to spurn an open goal opportunity and late on even defenders Callum Briggs and Jason Potter advanced more forward to join in. Very late on following a good second half all round display the points were sealed when a pinpoint corner from Clements found the head of the unmarked White at the far post and guided the ball past Flynn for final 3-0 score line.

The player of the match was awarded to Ollie Clements for his wonder goal, assist and all round performance.

Goalkeeper: James Williams

Defence: Simon Hewish, Callum Briggs, Ethan Johnson, Jason Potter,

Midfield: Ollie Clements, Leigh White, Rory Thomas

Forwards: Joe Creese, George Fake, Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyl

Subs: Jake Horton (for George Fake), Ethan Williams (for Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyl), Mark Brown (for Rory Thomas)