Wrington Redhill 2 Burnham Utd 1

Wrington Redhill played their first home game since 30 November at the Recreation Ground due to constant water-logging and this was a welcome home fixture and a positive result gained.

Player/manager Leigh White was looking for total commitment to the cause following the previous week’s heavy defeat and facing second placed Burnham Utd there was an emphatic response from all his players. With recent confidence fragile it was imperative that the team were on their toes from the start and pressing their opponents on the front foot.

The first half was goalless but chances were created by both sides and whilst the home side rode their luck on occasions Ollie Clements free kicks and corners were causing concern to Burnham’s defence. From one a Rory Thomas drive at goal was blocked and cleared to safety. Jason Potter was marshalling the defence well and on a couple of occasions Chris Bradley ventured forward in support of attacking free kicks and full backs Simon Hewish and Ethan Johnson were playing their parts. Leigh White was leading the way in midfield with his ball winning tackles and Sam Harvey and Clements were supporting him well. Front man George Fake worked tirelessly and James Williams survived a couple of wayward attempts from the visitors.

The second half saw Wrington Redhill in the ascendancy with a good move down the right with Potter finding Ethan Williams who found Fake and his effort was collected by ‘keeper Fraser McDonald, who was injured shortly after having made two strong saves and had to leave the game. The home side deservedly took the lead in the 70th minute following a well worked pattern of play. Thomas picked up the ball on the left touchline advanced forward and passed inside to Fake and he deftly chipped the ball into the path of Sam Harvey who slotted past the substitute ‘keeper for his first goal for the Club. Soon after the lead was doubled when a free kick was awarded just inside the Burnham half. Up stepped Clements and he expertly connected with the ball sending it over the head of the hapless ‘keeper rippling the back of the goal net.

Wrington were now in control of the game and should have increased the lead further but Fake agonisingly saw a headed cross go the wrong side of the upright to secure the game. However Burnham threw all their players forward in an effort to retrieve something from the game and pulled a goal back with a shot through a melee of players which unsighted Williams. The home team were in no mood to see victory snatched from their grasp and held out and finished with an important 2-1 victory and 3 welcome league points whichtook them 2 places up the league table.

Player of the Match was awarded to Ollie Clements

Goalkeeper: James Williams

Defence: Simon Hewish, Jason Potter, Chris Bradley, Ethan Johnson,

Midfield: Ollie Clements, Leigh White, Sam Harvey, Rory Thomas

Forwards: George Fake, Ethan Williams

Subs: Callum Briggs (for Simon Hewish), Joe Creese (for Ethan Williams), Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyl (for Jason Potter)