Wrington Redhill 1 Burnham Utd 3.

The game started evenly enough with Burnhams Lewis Henbury sending in an early corner which was cleared by Chris Bradley and at the other end a dangerous freekick from Ollie Clements was flapped at by Burnham keeper Stephen Bailey and the ball dropped into the danger zone but no one reacted quickly enough to take advantage. A Rory Thomas corner was then pushed over the bar for another corner taken by Sam (Parky) Harvey and from this one Lee White’s header went straight at the Burnham keeper. During this early spell both Joe Creese and Reece Ferguson Obamwonyi created chances for themselves but were unable to finish. Another corner from Rory Thomas was headed just wide by White who was then called into action at the other end clearing a Henbury corner which was crossed back in again and cleared with a diving header by Ollie Clements who took a kick to the head for his efforts. Wrington Redhill were then awarded a freekick just outside the Burnham box taken by Rory Thomas who saw his effort turned away at the near post by goalkeeper Bailey. A similar freekick from the visitors struck the defensive war and when the ball fell to Jamie Merrick his effort was blocked at the near post by goalkeeper Hill.

With the interval approaching Burnham then scored two quick goals to take the half-time lead. The ball was crossed into a crowded penalty area and when Wrington’s attempts to clear the ball failed Burnham’s Ben Gates was on hand to see the ball over the line. Then, on the stroke of half-time, another left-wing cross evaded everyone in the home team defence and Burnham’s Russell Molley headed in at the far post.

The second half saw Wrington Redhill come out with renewed energy and Joe Creese and Reece Ferguson Obamwonyi made several runs into the heart of the Burnham defence only to be stopped by last-ditch tackles.The home team got a goal back when Dan Ferguson made ground from the defence and his careful pass found Ethan Williams who held the ball up before feeding to Reece Ferguson Obamwonyi  who fired the ball past Bailey to get his team back in the match.
The comeback didn’t last long when Curtis Bradshaw found some space and hit an unstoppable long-range shot which flew past Hill into the top corner of the net. With the home teamIn disarray a goalline clearance from Darren Ferguson was needed to prevent them going further behind. The last 15 minutes saw a determined effort from Wrington Redhill when several chances were made but went begging. The best one went to Creese who tricked his way through the Burnham defence only to be denied by a brilliant save by keeper Bailey. Dan Ferguson also shot wide when put through on goal by Creese.
It ended 3-1 and loose defending had certainly cost Wrington Redhill the game which was much closer than the shoreline suggests. With the return of top scorer George Fake for the next game home to Middlezoy Rovers reserves should mean that confidence hold good.

Wrington Redhill man of the match. Dan Ferguson

Goalkeeper. Matt Hill
Defence. Ollie Clements, Chris Bradley, Dan Ferguson, Ethan Johnson.
Midfield. Joe Creese, Leigh White, Sam Harvey (Parkinson), Rory Thomas
Strikers. Ethan Williams, Reece Ferguson Obamwonyi

Subs. Ryan Pugh (for Thomas) Si Hewish Matt Walsh, Mark Brown (not used)