Saturday 14th Feb 2015

Wrington Redhill v Clutton

Wrington sought to extend their winning streak to three with the arrival of high-flying Clutton to ‘The Rec’.

The game kicked off and the home team took immediate control playing some decent football. Wrington welcomed back Jason Eaton who led the line with Graham Cheeseman. Playing down the slope Wrington passed the ball with purpose stretching the Clutton back line at every opportunity.

The game moved on and on 15 minutes Chris Gale broke into the box following a good passing move only to see his shot well saved by the Clutton Keeper.

On 20 minutes Jason Eaton robbed the Clutton centre half while he was trying to play out from the back, with the Clutton keeper rushing to close Eaton down, Eaton coolly slipped the ball square to the unmarked Chris Bradley who converted from 6 yards out.   1-0

On 22 minutes Wrington were again on the attack and following a good move down the right Neil Andow crossed from the byeline. The cross floated too close to the keeper but the ever alert Eaton followed the cross in and under no pressure the Clutton keeper dropped the ball on the goal line where Eaton prodded  the ball home.   2-0

Then the flow of the game changed and for some reason Clutton were allowed to gain the  ascendency, a position they were not to relinquish for the rest of the game.

Wrington were pushed back as the half wore on and chances fell the way of the away side and Wrington were fortunate to make it to half time still leading by two clear goals.

H/T 2-0

The second half started with Clutton immediately on the attack. This was to become the pattern of the game with Wrington always having their chances on the break.

The second half was soon to become known as the ‘Rorkes Drift’ half.

With Wrington sitting deep the away team attacks came in waves and Wrington defenders threw themselves in front of shot after shot. But often Wrington were able to cause trouble for the away team with some intelligent breaks from defence as Clutton pushed to get back into the game.

On 63 minutes Clutton were awarded an undeserved free kick by the referee.  As last Saturday keeper Clarke was to be beaten by an excellent free kick from the edge of the box.  2-1

The rear guard action then began in earnest with the defensive shape of Wrington being tested. On three occasions clear on target shooting chances came for the away team and on three occasions the excellent Gary Clarke made fantastic saves. Clarke surely being Manager Smiths’ signing of the season.

The game ran out of time for Clutton as on 88 minutes Clarke yet again made another match winning save and the final few minutes were seen off.

F/T 2-1

Yet again another winning 2-1 result for the ‘Redskins’ who continue to churn out excellent winning results.

The  three points being a credit to the teams work ethic.

While last week was a struggle Wrington were far better in possession this week. However,in truth Wrington could not have been aggrieved if Clutton had got something out of the game.

But it cannot be a fluke that the team continue to come out on the right side of these tight games. (last three games 2-1 wins).  What the team may lack in a little flair they more than make up for in spirit,fight and a never say die approach to each game.

Also if you consider manager Smith was short of 8 potential first team players to choose from the depth of the squad is a credit to his recruitment and management of the side.

‘Up The Redskins’

MOTM: Gary Clarke. Yet again a match winner for the team.