Wrington Redhill 3 Nailsea & Tickenham reserves 1

This was an excellent all round performance from the team who last played on the 19thOctober due to unfit pitches. However by holding extra training sessions during this period player manager Leigh White and his assistants worked tirelessly on tactics and patterns of play and the hard work has paid off with this well earned victory.

At long last, striker George Fake made his long awaited debut leading the forward line having suffered an injury during pre-season and his presence gave the team a welcome boost as he caused no end of problems for the visitor’s defence. With the home defence dealing with any threats and Callum Briggs making a number of runs forward until an injury which forced him to be replaced at half time.

The lead came from a great cross into the area from Rory Thomas with Fake rising high to challenge which resulted in the ball falling in path of Ollie Clements who drilled the ball into the net past the stranded  keeper Ryan Scott. White and Clements were battling for every ball in the midfield area and feeding wide men Thomas and Simon Hewish in more raids on the Nailsea goal. Taking the lead from Fake youngsters Ethan Williams and Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyi were very lively linking well with pace and skills to match. The only surprise at the interval was that Wrington Redhill did not add to the score line.

The second half started with Ben Sheppard slotting into the central midfield and tackling anybody who moved and Clements dropping back to defence replacing injured Briggs.

Early after the break there was a bit of a wobble when Nailsea equalised following a mix up between James Williams and his defenders which allowed a player to side step the ball away from the ‘keeper and into an empty net. This was a cruel lapse from an otherwise solid performance from Williams and the defensive trio of Clements, Jason Potter, earning the player of the match award and skipper Ethan Johnson. This spurred Wrington Redhill on again and from a well rehearsed corner routine Clements found White in space and he made no mistake in lashing the ball into the net to regain the lead at 2-1.

It looked as though the game was going to be sealed when another quality cross from Thomas found the unmarked Fake but somehow the headed connection went past a post. However the home side clinched the points when Ferguson-Obamwonyi exquisitely lobbed the ball over the ‘keeper from distance. Ryan Pugh replaced Ethan Williams and he slotted in straightaway to help see the game through to the end for a well earned 3-1 victory.

There were a number of contenders for player of the match which was awarded to Jason Potter.

Goalkeeper: James Williams

Defence: Callum Briggs, Jason Potter, Ethan Johnson

Midfield: Simon Hewish, Ollie Clements, Leigh White, Rory Thomas  

Forwards: Ethan Williams, George Fake, Reece Ferguson-Obamwonyl

Subs: Ben Sheppard (for Callum Briggs), Ryan Pugh (for Ethan Williams), Mark Brown (unused)