Unlucky Defeat


Wrington travelled to Stockwood to face top of the table Cutter’s Friday. The game was only minutes old when a long ball was chased into the box by Neil Andow who was bundled over by the retreating Cutters centre back that resulted in the referee awarding a Penalty.

Jake Murray stepped up and despite the keeper going the right way slotted the ball home.


From the restart Murray received the ball on the near touchline only to be ‘wiped out’ by the Cutter’s forward and a yellow card was issued. This was to be the start of a physical encounter that led to a number of bookings that the referee only just managed to keep a lid on.

On 25 minutes a ball was whipped in from the right. The Wrington keeper decided to come and claim but unfortunately the ball was dropped and the Cutter’s forward tapped into an empty net.


The game continued with Cheeseman leading the line magnificently for Wrington. The game reached half time all square.

HT 1-1

The second half kicked off with a number of free kicks being awarded to Wrington that led to a couple of half chances. Then from a goal kick the Wrington backline were caught under the ball allowing the Cutters forward to wrestle his way to the ball where he coolly slotted the ball past the Wrington keeper.


The game continued with tackles flying in but despite the league position of the opponents Wrington were more that a match and were always in the game. On 80 minute a corner was won by Wrington.

Simon Rigg crossed the ball which Jake Murray headed towards goal, Sub Chris Gale stopped the ball on the 6 yard line, swiveled and planted his shot in the right hand corner of the goal.


Almost immediately from the kick off a long ball was punted up field towards the Wrington goal. The Wrington Keeper unfortunately fumbled the ball which fell to the Cutters forward who tapped it into the empty net.


The game continued with the Cutters centre back receiving his second yellow and being sent off. Then the cutters midfield player who already had been booked pushed over Chris Holland, a clear yellow card, but stayed down cleverly claiming injury and unbelievably was not penalised by the now clearly rattled referee who had allowed far to much leeway to the players in the physical stakes.

The game ended 3-2 to the home side but Wrington can be proud of their contribution to hard-fought game. But for the odd mistake this was a game Wrington could easily have taken all three points. Cutters are a decent side and we look forward to them visiting The Rec later in the season.

MOM – Graham Cheeseman – Simply MAGNIFICENT